Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Mecenary's Story  (Read 2481 times)

Magnus

• Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: -6
A Mecenary's Story
« on: Jun 23, 02, 03:09:18 pm CDT »

Johan Rico was sitting quietly in his home, waiting for his wife to put the dinner on the table. He played with his newborn son, Magnus,  while he waited. He still couldn't believe his fortune had changed for the better after arriving in Ireland. He was finally able to start the family that he had longed for and prehaps just as importantly, he was finally able to hang up his sword and work as a Smithy. For the first time since he was a child Johan was happy. But as fate would have it, it would be his last.
Magnus

"Idiots are fun. No wonder every village wants one."

johnians

• Blatant Member (300 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
Replying to Topic 'A Mecenary's Story'
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 02, 12:38:24 pm CDT »

The next evening while heating some metal for horseshoes that a neighbor ordered, the door of the smithy opened and a small man entered with a large sack. When the man rested his sack, the sound of metal scraps was heard. The man pointed at the sack and directed Johan to open it. Inside were wonderous gold and silver sword pieces as well as other broken pieces of armor. The man produced a drawing showing what he wanted done. Still without uttering a sound he made Johan understand what his commision was.

Johan was amazed at the grand drawing but knew it would take all his skills to accomplish it. The man made Johan a sign to say he would be back in a month and left two gold coins as down payment for the work.
 When Johan turned around the man was gone but the sack , the drawing and the gold pieces were still there.

Johan thought to himself, ".......
Rogue#402, RenMerc #151, Bard #149

Amergin

• Shady Member (100 Posts)
    • Church of The Jolly Roger "The Pyrates of the Carabiner"
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 02, 11:31:50 pm CDT »

"What, by Saint Patrick WAS this contraption?"
         The alloys alone would test the mettle of his metal. He;d never even HEARD of this combination, but it sounded feasible. He looked around the shop, wondering what changes to the layout would be required. The largest crucible might work, but how to get the forge hot enough? He started a list of the things he would need.
        Oakwood
        Ash wood
        Sulpher
        Saltpeter
        Copper ingots
        Tin ingots
        10 bushels of feathers

As he mulled over what he would need, he pondered the use of such a creation. It looked like...
Amergin de la Barracuda
Pater Bizzarro of the Church of the Jolly Roger
A Pyrate of the Carabiner, ODK
Alliances with the Lost Guild, the Wayward Pilgrim, the Double Hawk and Others

johnians

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 02, 10:00:53 am CDT »

He looked at the list again.

6 large barrels
 a metal skimmer
a whisk

"Could it be, " he thought "a still? And just what would be brewed in it?
I can't see what the feathers would be used for but maybe later it will beome obvious."

Johan started to gather up the necessary supplies. His baby son Magnus started to cry so he left the forge to check on him.

Returning later he started up the ovens to heat the metal scraps. As he did so, the door to his forge flew open. It was ...

Magnus

• Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: -6
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 02, 09:41:57 pm CST »

His old Commander (and best friend) from the Landsknecht. "Johan, my old friend. How are you?"

"Darius! My friend. It's been to long. Come, come. How have you been?" came Johan's reply.
Magnus

"Idiots are fun. No wonder every village wants one."

johnians

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 02, 11:17:28 am CST »

Joan embraced his old friend.

"how good to see you my old friend. I see you already met my son Magnus. He always grabs hold of visitors and follows them."

"oh, That's alright" said Darius, "my own children do the same. I've come down this way in search of a brewer I heard lives in this area."

"our last brewer died six months past. We've had to travel ourselves for ale and mead to  Alden-on-Tyne to their brewer. Not as good as our's was but thirst has to be quenched.  I haven't heard if anyone has moved into his old cottage.", said Johan.

Darius spoke, " there is word about a powerful new ale that has great restorative powers. They say so far only small quantities have been made. But I have not yet found anyone with a supply of it."

The two friends caught up on old times. Later Johan left to buy supples for his commission. When he returned he started to tell his friend about his last visitor.
His friend was as mystified as he was as to the identity of the visitor.
Just then ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up