Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

Highlander Movies

Highlander 1 was okay, the rest bit!
- 9 (36%)
#s 1 and 4 were all right, 2 and 3 blew.
- 16 (64%)
They all RULE!!
- 0 (0%)
They all SUCK!!
- 0 (0%)
Zeist is my home planet, mortal pig!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highlander Movies  (Read 3049 times)

Amergin

• Shady Member (100 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
    • Church of The Jolly Roger "The Pyrates of the Carabiner"
Highlander Movies
« on: Jul 20, 02, 08:21:49 pm CDT »

Did ya like \'em?
I think the TV show was better. Conner kicked Duncan\'s ass in the last (let\'s pray) movie. I think that was right and just.
What do you think?

I think crappy sword movies give the entire genre a black eye... not in a good way, either.
Amergin de la Barracuda
Pater Bizzarro of the Church of the Jolly Roger
A Pyrate of the Carabiner, ODK
Alliances with the Lost Guild, the Wayward Pilgrim, the Double Hawk and Others

Fendalis

Replying to Topic 'Highlander Movies'
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 02, 09:09:40 pm CDT »

As I mentioned in a post somewhere else, Highlander 1 is a classic.  That isn't saying is was a "good" movie, but it was entertaining, slightly cheesey, and set the standard for everything to come.  Highlander 2?  I hereby deny watching that movie...frankly because 3 was better I'd say that the people who made those movies tried to ignore that 2 ever happened as well. Okay, 3 wasn't good either, but they at least tried to fix things.  The last one was the best of the bunch because it pulled everything together.  I never watched the series very much.  
-Fendalis the Shadow

EireannTheRed

• Scandalous Member (50 Posts)
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 02, 09:33:35 pm CDT »

At the risk of being denounced by the man I am married to in the post above...Highlander...sheesh...the first one was ok...but crickey give me a break...there can be only one...again and again?...quicken for godsake!
Eireann *The Red*
IWG 2103 MCL Local 24
Capt. Silver Hawkins
of the Double Hawk, IFoRP 352
RenMerc 536
Look at me Mum, I'm Witch and Famous!

JohnBroadfoot

• Blatant Member (300 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: -2
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 02, 05:21:38 pm CDT »

The concept was sound. I liked the first movie. But they f'd with it and ruined they whole idea.
C.R.F. Liaison, "Nos Primus Potatio-Postremus Ordo".

Mercenaries Guild Warden to CRF, "Nos Solum Amici Vos Habeo".

The Lucky Bastard Lover of Amy.

A woman's most important feature is between...
her ears!

I love the smell of Wenches in the morning!

Be easy and free when you're drinking with me. I'm a man you don't meet every day.

Safe Home!

Magnus

• Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: -6
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 02, 05:38:51 pm CDT »

Originally posted by JohnBroadfoot

The concept was sound. I liked the first movie. But they f'd with it and ruined they whole idea.

Being the Highlander nut that I am, I agree with Mr. Broadfoot. I also liked #4 because of Duncan. Thank God Connor is gone. The Producers (Davis/Panzer Produtions, who did all 4 movies and the TWO T.V. Series) never expected to get the response that they did from the first movie. That is why #2 was like it was. That and the Bean Counters ended up having a MAJOR say in the movie after it went over budget and over time. Then the Series came out and they had to do something more on the movie front. That's what happened with #3 and the revised #2 movie (called Highlander 2: Renegade Version). Unfortunately, they fucked it up big time with that one. When the first series folded, everything was in place to "clear things up" and to "pass the torch" so to speak. They did a good job with it, though they still dropped the ball in a few places in my opinion.

For those of you who were wondering about the second series it was called Highlander: The Raven. It was based around Elizabeth Gracen's (a fellow Arkansawer) character from the first series, Amanda. It lasted only one season and can be cought on Sunday mornings (at least I think it is still on there) on the Sci Fi channel. The first series is currently only available on Video (all six seasons) and DVD (only the first season currently available).

And from the looks of things, due to Mr. Paul (Adrian Paul, Duncan MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod) having some "creative differences" with the producers and writers, there will likely NOT be another movie. At least not with Mr. Paul's character. Of course I am sure that if he is offered enough money and creative input, he will do Duncan again. Of course, if there is another one with Duncan, it will likely be last with Duncan as Mr. Paul is nearly 45 years old!
Magnus

"Idiots are fun. No wonder every village wants one."

Ariana McDonnough

• Home Faire: CTRF
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 02, 06:19:15 pm CDT »

Originally posted by Magnus

(Adrian Paul, Duncan MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod)

My husband loves the name Duncan MacLeod. We went to a Scottish festival last summer with Eireann the Red & Fendalis and we saw the MacLeod clan there. My hubby then said, "Maybe we should name our next baby, if it's a boy, Duncan MacLeod." I love the sound of it, but I don't think it would go too well with our last name.

Is there a point to this? Yes. Just stating that my next child, should it be a boy, will be named Duncan MacLeod (but I'm trying to change it to something cooler, but keeping Duncan).

And as for Adrian Paul....HUBBA FREAKIN HUBBA!!!!! But then again, he's no Sean Connery or someone here who looks like a young Sean Connery, right, Amergin? LOL!! ;)

Tartfully & Tastily yours,
Ariana McDonnough
Wench #2094/Privateer #359/Ren Merc #607
Battle Bytch of Broadfoot - Stacked to Attack
Pinned Ren Geek
Wanderer's Northern Wench
91.4% FaireFolk corrupt

"The lady says she's Irish...." ~ Craig of Farrington

Amergin

• Shady Member (100 Posts)
    • Church of The Jolly Roger "The Pyrates of the Carabiner"
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 02, 08:34:56 pm CDT »

I still can't keep Duncan and Connor straight. I had a friend who went crazy over Highlander and took it too far. She watched WAAAAAAY too much TV. I thought it was kinda cool, so I got a kilt and took katana lessons. Why watch swordfighting when you can BE swordfighting.

As someone wise (I think Einstein) once said, "Don't Dream it, Be It!"

I think there should be a 5th movie:

The Lowlander: There can be One or Two.
Amergin de la Barracuda
Pater Bizzarro of the Church of the Jolly Roger
A Pyrate of the Carabiner, ODK
Alliances with the Lost Guild, the Wayward Pilgrim, the Double Hawk and Others

vindictus

• Notorious Member (200 Posts)
    • http://www.odkunderground.com
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 02, 09:18:37 pm CDT »

1. My friends were going to write Highlander: The Musical, but ended up starting to write Long Islander. More on this whenever they get ready to film it...

2. I have, for the most part, successfully dispatched the memories of the second film. But, out of morbid curiosity, is the Renegade version worth anything? Or, should that be relegated to the land of forgetfulness?

3. There should have only been one, and I have mixed feelings over Endgame. The DVD comes with an early cut on a bonus disc. Does anyone share my opinion that that one (disc 2) was better than the official DVD release (disc 1)?

V
Vindictus Benedictus � "I'm not evil, I'm just amoral!"
IBRSC #939
Order of the Drowning Kitten #001 (Twisted Founder and Keeper of the Order)
39.4% FaireFolk pure (60.6% FaireFolk corrupt)

Dmitri

• whatever...
  • THE WOLF
  • Inebriation Level: 48
  • Home Faire: NYRF
  • Dmitri Vladescu, IBRSC Wolf, Retired (Semi)
    • The Silver Knights
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 02, 08:41:53 am CDT »

First one is cool... With Sean Connery and Queen doing the soundtrack, Clancy Brown as the Villian... Jeez about as good as it gets if you can get past Conner sounding like Ren form Ren and Stimpy...

"Ramirez you Bloated haggis!"

I went to see the second one opening nite... It was the only sequel I've ever seen that RUINED the first movie... Then there was "Highlander III: The Apology" didn't quite make it.... IV I didn't even bother....

Now the first 2 seasons of the series sucked... come'on Richard Moll as the Villian? He didn't cut in The Sword and the Sorcerer"... But as they started with the century spanning plotlines: The four Horsemen, the Watchers it started getting cool. Also Adrian started fighting with different styles, Rappier and Dagger, Courtsword, Broadsword as well as katana, and towards the end you could see that he was incorporating all of these into Duncan's fighting style... Which would actually happen if you had 400 years of practice....
"Steel is the coinage of the Warrior, with it he purchases what pleases him."

Avhiennda

• Renowned Member (500 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 1
    • http://www.realms-of-imagination.com
« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 02, 08:45:24 am CDT »

I agree, first one was fine in is cheesy-ish way. Good sound concept done with what technology was back then.

But in my opinion, when, at the end there is only one...guess what? Movie over. No sequel and definitely no sequelS.

The rest bit.

Avhiennda
-Mead Goddess
-'Wicked' Witch of the East
-The Adobo of Wrong (but all I did was Adobo the Captain!)
-Keeper of the Cabana Boys --> Men

"The only words that need to come out of a woman's mouth are '...Oh Cabana Boy...'" - Diane Ford

Magnus

« Reply #10 on: Jul 22, 02, 06:01:51 pm CDT »

Originally posted by vindictus

2. I have, for the most part, successfully dispatched the memories of the second film. But, out of morbid curiosity, is the Renegade version worth anything? Or, should that be relegated to the land of forgetfulness?

3. There should have only been one, and I have mixed feelings over Endgame. The DVD comes with an early cut on a bonus disc. Does anyone share my opinion that that one (disc 2) was better than the official DVD release (disc 1)?

V

Well, the Renegade Version they got rid of Ziest and added footage that was cut out of the Quickening Version (original). Beyond that, though, I wouldn't worry about it. Rent it and decide for yourself.

Yes the Rough cut on Disc 2 is better than the Official version on Disc 1. I wish that I could get a cut of the film as it appeared in the theater though.
Magnus

Ariana McDonnough

• Home Faire: CTRF
« Reply #11 on: Jul 22, 02, 06:08:35 pm CDT »

Originally posted by Magnus

Resident Highlander nut

Magnus,

I'll agree with you being a nut... ::rofl::

Just kidding with ya!

Keep that chin up, kiddo :)
Ariana McDonnough
Wench #2094/Privateer #359/Ren Merc #607
Battle Bytch of Broadfoot - Stacked to Attack
Pinned Ren Geek
Wanderer's Northern Wench
91.4% FaireFolk corrupt

"The lady says she's Irish...." ~ Craig of Farrington

Magnus

« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 02, 06:09:03 pm CDT »

Originally posted by Dmitri

First one is cool... With Sean Connery and Queen doing the soundtrack, Clancy Brown as the Villian... Jeez about as good as it gets if you can get past Conner sounding like Ren form Ren and Stimpy...

"Ramirez you Bloated haggis!"

I went to see the second one opening nite... It was the only sequel I've ever seen that RUINED the first movie... Then there was "Highlander III: The Apology" didn't quite make it.... IV I didn't even bother....

Now the first 2 seasons of the series sucked... come'on Richard Moll as the Villian? He didn't cut in The Sword and the Sorcerer"... But as they started with the century spanning plotlines: The four Horsemen, the Watchers it started getting cool. Also Adrian started fighting with different styles, Rappier and Dagger, Courtsword, Broadsword as well as katana, and towards the end you could see that he was incorporating all of these into Duncan's fighting style... Which would actually happen if you had 400 years of practice....

I loved some of the first two seasons. From season one all the ones shot in Paris were good. From season two, when Ritchie became immortal was good, as well as all of them with Amanda. I agree with Dmitri with Season 3 on. That had  to do with in part with F. Braun McAsh coming on as Swordmaster (thank god they got rid of Bob Anderson. For those that don't know, Anderson was swordmaster on the original movie and various others notably Mask of Zorro in the '90s). The only sword style that Adrian actually learned and used on the show was the Katana. The rest of the moves came from Mr. McAsh and what he learned from Bob Anderson.
Magnus

WearyKnight

« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 02, 08:04:32 am CDT »

I admit I was gaga over the first movie..what a great concept!  The Kurgan was THE best villian I'd seen in ages.   But the 2nd movie?  Stinks worse than some of the el cheapo cigars I've smoked.  Stunk like a rolled tuna!  After that I no longer cared.  Tried the series for a while, but damn, how many immortals were there?  Adrian offed enough people to fill madison square garden!  Sheesh!

Avhiennda

• Renowned Member (500 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 1
    • http://www.realms-of-imagination.com
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 02, 09:43:18 pm CDT »

Just an FYI....Highlander: Endgame was on last night.

I stand by my vote. 2,3 and 4 sucked.

Avhi
-Mead Goddess
-'Wicked' Witch of the East
-The Adobo of Wrong (but all I did was Adobo the Captain!)
-Keeper of the Cabana Boys --> Men

"The only words that need to come out of a woman's mouth are '...Oh Cabana Boy...'" - Diane Ford

vindictus

• Notorious Member (200 Posts)
    • http://www.odkunderground.com
« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 02, 10:51:59 pm CDT »

Originally posted by Avhiennda

Just an FYI....Highlander: Endgame was on last night.

I stand by my vote. 2,3 and 4 sucked.

Avhi

Avhi,

The H4 DVD comes with a bonus disc with an earlier, and, in my not-so-humble opinion, better (rough) cut. I suspect you'll find H4 sucks less based on that cut.

V
Vindictus Benedictus � "I'm not evil, I'm just amoral!"
IBRSC #939
Order of the Drowning Kitten #001 (Twisted Founder and Keeper of the Order)
39.4% FaireFolk pure (60.6% FaireFolk corrupt)
Pages: [1]   Go Up