Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sword play classes  (Read 11408 times)

Darian

• Notorious Member (200 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
Sword play classes
« on: Aug 28, 02, 11:04:24 pm CDT »

OK, some of you may think "cool!", and some of you may say "whadda geek, taking a class for this", but I'll share it regardless...

I have know for some time that my local junior college offers a fencing class, but never got around to taking it until now.  It's kinda cool having to pay only $25 for the entire semester during which I get to learn how to fence the modern way one night a week.  Evidently this is a common class to find at JCs.  I've been told that it is offered in the Palms Springs area and the LA area at JCs as well.  These classes cost FAR less than lessons at places where that is their main gig.

Anyway. I just want to encourage everyone to call their local JCs and ask if this is available to you.  I'm having fun, and wanted to share the opportunity.  Next semester we will be taught epee and saber as well.  It may be modern stuff as opposed to what we carry at faire, but personally I refuse to carry any weapon that I am not at very least competent with.  Look for the classes, sign up, and have fun.  Believe me though, the footwork ain't no walk in the park.  (oh my aching calves!!!)
~~D-a-r-i-a-n~~
Rogue 534

Dmitri

• whatever...
  • THE WOLF
  • Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 48
  • Home Faire: NYRF
  • Dmitri Vladescu, IBRSC Wolf, Retired (Semi)
    • The Silver Knights
Replying to Topic 'Sword play classes'
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 02, 11:48:11 am CDT »

Originally posted by Darian
.  It may be modern stuff as opposed to what we carry at faire, but personally I refuse to carry any weapon that I am not at very least competent with.  

I agree. But unless you carry a modern (sport) fencing weapon(or a 18th century smallsword), the sport styles won't help you with rapier work. I took Sabre for a while. Now I am relentively adept at rapier & dagger, Ok at broadsword and fair at polearm. and I took sport sabre AFTER I trained with the heavier weapons. The foot work(the MOST IMPORTANT thing in sword play) is totally different: in Rapier all attacks save one or two "trick" manuevers are made "on the pass"; where in sport fencing in crabstepping never bringing the back leg forward.

Sport fencing is about minimal movement and is mostly wristwork, it's quick as hell. It's also rather dainty. In sabre class I would cream the instructors mask, when I actually hit him and he would always tell me to hit softer... when you go from a 2.5lbs sword to a 12oz one it's a little difficult... the dynamic effects that both have on your body when you swing them are totally different.

I think that you going and taking these classes is real frelling cool. It will quicken your reflexes ALOT.

But the weapons we carry are fundementally different and I encourage you to seek out treatises on period swordplay by authors like George Silver, Achille Marrazzo and other contempories of the 16th & 17th centuries.
"Steel is the coinage of the Warrior, with it he purchases what pleases him."

Darian

« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 02, 02:24:15 pm CDT »

I certainly will seek out those texts.  I'm very much looking forward to the sport sabre lessons, but would like to learn more about the period styles rather than just the modern.  I'm looking forward to participating in an amature tournament in December.  I'm sure I'll get creamed, but the experience should be a rip.
~~D-a-r-i-a-n~~
Rogue 534

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Inebriation Level: 44
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 02, 11:29:16 am CDT »

Dude look into your local SCA in the area I go on thursdays usually here in NJ for a few hours and they show the propper defences and stances. you might get lucky and find a rough miestre in the bunch.
in he group that I prctice with we doo case foil, epe, ridged defence (rapier and scabbard, or cane), non-ridged (rapier and hat, cloak, ect.)

But all in all good luck and stick with it
"Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici" ("By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe"

"Religion is about faith, not evidence. Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges—it's more like apples and sewing machines." ~ Jack Horner

Magnus

• Inebriation Level: -6
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 02, 10:40:37 am CDT »

There are English translations for Hans Talhoffer and (by now hopefully) Fiorei de Liberi works available at www.amazon.com . While there you can find author John Clements books on Medieval and Renaissance swordsmanship (there are two). And on a final note, try http://www.aemma.org/training_top.htm . The Art of Longsword Combat-Book #1 is available for free download. Using a black and white cartridge it takes a little over and hour to print out.

Good luck on the fencing, it is some hard work (especially with only one class a week).
Magnus

"Idiots are fun. No wonder every village wants one."

Darian

« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 02, 10:17:32 am CDT »

Such GREAT resources!  Thank you all very much.  (off to visit Amazon to look for titles)
~~D-a-r-i-a-n~~
Rogue 534

Bodacious_Wench

• Opprobrious Member (30 Posts)
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 02, 04:18:05 pm CST »

Dear Darian,

if you go to the Ring of Steel website (www.ringofsteel.org) there is a link to salle and also weblinks.  Check both of these out to see if anyone is teaching renaissance swordplay in your area.

Tessa:)
Tessa French
"It's a Mystery"

Raaem

• Nefarious Member (10 Posts)
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 02, 05:47:38 pm CST »

I had a similar thought, but I took the cheap way out.  Renstore.com has some good instructional videos. I bought The Practice of Arms 1 -Beginning Swordwork for the Stage and Screen, and Broadsword for the Stage and Screen :the De Longis Method. The Practice of Arms video, teaches the basic footwork common to sabre, and foil, while Broadsword for the stage and screen builds on the basics (which they show in Rapier for the Stage and Screen but are the same as in the Practice of Arms video) and goes into triagular footwork, 2 handed parries, deflections, disarms, and some cool stuff.

they're about $40 each so if you've got $100, a place to practice with plenty of room and a vcr you can at least start yourself off until you can find someone to train you professionally.

Just my 2 cents
Raaem
Rogue #963
First Mate aboard The Wayward Pilgrim

"D'oh!"

"May your road be dry and cool and your ale sweet and warm? Nay my friend, may your wit be dry and cool and your women sweet and warm!"

Calen_Darksbane

• aka Capt. Pico de Gallo
  • Celebrious Member (800 Posts)
Sword play classes
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 02, 08:38:06 am CST »

also- if you are interested in the Spanish Style of fencing- we have a Maestro here on the E coast who just recently put out 2 videos-along w/ anthony deLongis- Maestro Martinez is his name.

http://www.martinez-destreza.com/
Lord Magistrate of the Shire formerly known as Stockwood

Dmitri

• whatever...
  • THE WOLF
    • The Silver Knights
Sword play classes
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 02, 09:32:30 am CST »

Yeah but spanish rapier is so... well boring....

Calen_Darksbane

Sword play classes
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 02, 09:41:15 am CST »

but deadly- martinez doesn't teach it as a parry/risposte touché sport ( i did that in high school- fun but not a martial art) He teaches it as it was taught for dueling purposes.

You want fun and deadly- try gim dao- chinese fencing a la crouching tiger. Or dan dao broadsword or miao dao- long sword

dems fightin stuff....

want to learn the horse-cutter- kwan dao sized blade on a three foot shaft- like the elven infantry swords in  LOTR

Dmitri

• whatever...
  • THE WOLF
    • The Silver Knights
Sword play classes
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 02, 02:09:03 pm CST »

Hey if you want to... I'll put my knowledge of Italian rapier/dagger vs your spanish rapier/dagger... and we could have a sparring match...

Calen_Darksbane

Sword play classes
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 02, 02:17:11 pm CST »

mañana......

:P

Dmitri

• whatever...
  • THE WOLF
    • The Silver Knights
Sword play classes
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 02, 03:46:58 pm CST »

Anytime buddy...  ;)

Calen_Darksbane

Sword play classes
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 02, 03:20:40 pm CST »

gotta get back into it first....maybe after the 'Wood.

Darian

Sword play classes
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 02, 11:15:32 pm CST »

Well, a whole semester has passed since starting this thread.  This coming Saturday I participate in my first tournament.  I only get to compete as a novice once, so wish me luck.  I've been doing pretty well so far.  I seem to be one of the best 1st year students, and can regularly beat many of the 2nd and 3rd years.  Some of them still spank me wicked bad though.  I'm having fun though, and that's all that really matters to me.  I wish there were Rogues closer that could join me in the class.  It would be so much more fun with someone to share it with.

Anyway, please keep a good thought Saturday morning.

And while I have your attention, I really hope that this holiday season finds you ALL happy, healthy, and in the company of loved ones.

Take care, drink ale, and be happy!

Darian
~~D-a-r-i-a-n~~
Rogue 534

Raphael96

Sword play classes
« Reply #16 on: Apr 20, 03, 10:20:13 am CDT »

Darien,

Many scoff at modern fencing, but I can tell you that if you work at it, you will have a tremendous advantage over anyone who hasn't done the same.

I have done modern fencing since '83 and when I fence in the SCA it is like a scythe through a wheat field.

You will see what I mean in time.  :)

Raphael
The Prince of Paris

Baron Raphael di Angelo

I Pride myself on Vanity, so its 2 sins in 1

Caesar Si Veveret Ad Rerum Daresis   (If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar)

Gryffin

• Shady Member (100 Posts)
Sword play classes
« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 03, 11:49:31 am CDT »

So Darian how is the fencing going? How did the tourny go?

There's a new YMCA opening in my area that I'm hoping will have a fencing club so I can start. Right now the closest club is a 45 minute drive from my home and I already drive 50 minutes to get home from work, so I'm looking for something alittle closer.
Gryffin de Oléron
Rogues guild #1070
Mercs guild #535

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

If it was up to me, I'd let you go; but the Gods have a temper, and they've been drinking all day!!

Raphael96

Sword play classes
« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 03, 02:45:50 pm CDT »

Did you check out www.usfencing.org?

They have a list of fencing clubs by State, so maybe you can find something closer to you than that.

Raphael
The Prince of Paris

Baron Raphael di Angelo

I Pride myself on Vanity, so its 2 sins in 1

Caesar Si Veveret Ad Rerum Daresis   (If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar)

Gryffin

• Shady Member (100 Posts)
Sword play classes
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 03, 09:40:41 pm CDT »

Quote from: "Raphael96"
Did you check out www.usfencing.org?

They have a list of fencing clubs by State, so maybe you can find something closer to you than that.

Raphael

yes I've checked there and at http://www.michfencing.org/. Nothing nearby.

I did put in a request for classes at the "Y", but I'm sure if there aren't enough people interested they wont have them. I'm going to try to get my friends in to it, but they look down on fencing. They're all heavy fighters and combat archers in the SCA. I don't care what they think I just want the numbers to fill a class.
Gryffin de Oléron
Rogues guild #1070
Mercs guild #535

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

If it was up to me, I'd let you go; but the Gods have a temper, and they've been drinking all day!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up