Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

Images of WTC

Yes, edit out all shots of WTC.
- 0 (0%)
No, keep them in.
- 26 (92.9%)
Yes, but only from things released after 9/11.
- 2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images of WTC  (Read 3133 times)

TinkTheBodiceGoddess

• THE Bodice Goddess
  • Celebrious Member (800 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 16
    • http://hometown.aol.com/celtink/myhomepage/profile.html
Images of WTC
« on: Sep 25, 02, 04:06:22 pm CDT »

I work at a college with a campus in NYC. Our recruitment video is currently being edited to remove any shots with the towers in it.

It got me to wondering how everyone feels about this type of editing to remove the towers from movie and TV scenes.

Do you feel editing should be done. If so, why?

Do you feel it is unneccessary? If so, why?
Tink
Wench 200 MCL Local 69
Bodice Goddess tm 
Capt. Menstruella DeVille of the PMS Scallyrag
"Retaining the Seven Seas"
AG #010
Engaged to Sputty
The Margaritavillainess
When life gives you lemons...ask for tequila and salt!!
"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."
I'm a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll world

Random

• Renowned Member (500 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
Replying to Topic 'Images of WTC'
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 02, 04:53:25 pm CDT »

I said keep 'em in... here's why...  

The towers are part of NYC... just like the Empire State Building... Just like The Statue of Liberty...  

If one of these structures became unsafe or needed to be torn down we would still say, "I remember going there... Here's what it looked like.... this was NYC when *I* was young."  Just because they arent there NOW doesnt mean we should erase the fact that they were there!  

We keep yelling, "Never forget..."  and "Remember the Towers" well then why erase them from everything?!  Yes... a year ago the wound was fresh... but even when a friend or relative is killed, you dont destroy the evidence of their existance.  Noone burns the photos of their loved ones after they die.  You dont erase all home videos just to make certain you dont hear their voices again...  You mourn, you cry, you get angry... but you come to smile at the memories of the person as you look at/ watch all of that stuff.

Why treat the WTC with less respect... I have pics of me there... I was angry when they pulled the WTC/Spiderman Trailer... but I understood it.  The idea of watching aircraft near the towers was too much... so they pulled it.  MIB2 was going to blow them up... they changed it... ok I understand it.

It's a year later... Lets get back to being able to look at them and not see ONLY Tragidy...
Random- The Moulin Rogue

Chaos, Disorder, Confusion... My work here is done.

"I don't care what you say, it doesn't grow back... what you feel is cobwebs!" ~Gardo

Jolie_Rouge

• Scandalous Member (50 Posts)
    • http://www.lundegaard.com
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 02, 05:48:22 pm CDT »

Under most circumstances I would say keep them in. However, if you left the Towers in a recruitment video for a college, that tape becomes dated quickly. It's been over a year now, and if I was looking at colleges, and saw the Towers, I'd wonder how accurate or current the video was, hence I'd end up second guessing what that college was like. From a college PR viewpoint, I could see editing the Towers out and how it would be beneficial.
Jolie Rouge
iFoRP 001
IWG 286

Remember when you are having a really, really bad day,
and people are ticking you off, it takes 42 muscles to frown. . .
and only 4 to extend your middle finger and say bite me.

Avhiennda

• Renowned Member (500 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 1
    • http://www.realms-of-imagination.com
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 02, 09:28:58 pm CDT »

I would agree with Jolie in that aspect. :nod:

But I too say keep them in. They were part of our history and they were beautiful.  I can't tell you how many times since then I've seen them in movies and shows, and I stare at them as long as i can and remember the good times.

Avhi
-Mead Goddess
-'Wicked' Witch of the East
-The Adobo of Wrong (but all I did was Adobo the Captain!)
-Keeper of the Cabana Boys --> Men

"The only words that need to come out of a woman's mouth are '...Oh Cabana Boy...'" - Diane Ford

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 44
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 02, 07:32:45 am CDT »

Hell I'm with keeping them in myself. But, (yes there is always a but) at certain times it is for the good that they'll be cut, like in college recruitment and now tourist spots. They are gonna want to keep the public with that sence of all is Ok.

But on a lighter note, did anyone notice in the movie "Spiderman" that in the last sequence of shots he lands on the Empire State Building, now when this hits DVD pause the shot that he lands near the flag almost at the very end. Zoom in and look to the left. There is the Empire State Building. The shot was suppose to be him on the WTC tower :O  ::rofl::
Just a bit of geek humor and trivia
"Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici" ("By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe"

"Religion is about faith, not evidence. Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges—it's more like apples and sewing machines." ~ Jack Horner

TinkTheBodiceGoddess

• THE Bodice Goddess
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 02, 12:04:23 pm CDT »

Good point about the keeping things current/timeliness factor for the recruitment video and tourism ads, etc. I agree with that.

I was more prompted to post this poll in regards to things like TV and Movies as I know many things filmed, but not yet released were indeed re-shot to remove the towers. I know there was talk of removing them from things that had already been released prior to 9/11 and my thinking was:

If they were there when it was released then it is only historically accurate to keep them in.

Afterwards, obviously it makes sense from a histirically accurate stand-point to edit them out.

However, a lot of the talk in editing them out was a reaction to them being gone and people thinking it was too painful and/or disrespectful to have them in. Heck I wonder if anyone will ever air King Kong, the Jessica Lange version ever again as it centers around the towers as opposed to the original which centered around the Empire State Building.

It just seems to me, like Random said, that to remove them is like saying they never existed and that to me, would be the true injustice and act of disrespect.
Tink
Wench 200 MCL Local 69
Bodice Goddess tm 
AG #010
Engaged to Sputty
The Margaritavillainess

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 02, 03:54:56 pm CDT »

Originally posted by TinkTheBodiceGoddess

It just seems to me, like Random said, that to remove them is like saying they never existed and that to me, would be the true injustice and act of disrespect.

Amen to that My sister
"Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici" ("By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe"

"Religion is about faith, not evidence. Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges—it's more like apples and sewing machines." ~ Jack Horner

Jolie_Rouge

• http://www.lundegaard.com
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 02, 04:04:15 pm CDT »

Robin, pardon the tangent...
I was thinking that we for the most part agree about images of the WTC.
However, how do you feel about the sculpture that was removed from
Rockefeller Center?
Jolie Rouge
iFoRP 001
IWG 286

Remember when you are having a really, really bad day,
and people are ticking you off, it takes 42 muscles to frown. . .
and only 4 to extend your middle finger and say bite me.

TinkTheBodiceGoddess

• THE Bodice Goddess
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 02, 05:07:15 pm CDT »

Personally, I did feel the sculpture was in very poor taste. I know the artist says he meant no harm/disrespect and that it was just a creation born from how he was feeling or something to that effect. That's fine, his form of grief therapy, I suppose..... I just think displaying it was an HUGE mistake.
Tink
Wench 200 MCL Local 69
Bodice Goddess tm 
AG #010
Engaged to Sputty
The Margaritavillainess

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 02, 06:51:19 am CDT »

See and now I disagree with you Tink, that sculpture should not have been removed, in my opinion. There are those that want to forget and I say nay, see the reality of it all and not on TV and images that are deemed appropriate, Frell that!!!! We need the cold hard truth I for one am tired of all the sugar coating and BS, It happened we need to realize that we are vunerable. And its through knowing that vunerability that we get stronger.

(Ok calm now) Now that my tangent is over, I don't think they should have removed it.

TinkTheBodiceGoddess

• THE Bodice Goddess
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 02, 09:13:48 am CDT »

Gardo.....I think we can all remember what happened and the horror of that day *without* the constant barrage of footage or in this case, sculptures of people jumping out of the towers.

I am not saying we should forget what happened or sugar-coat it. I don't think *not* showing these types of images is sugar-coating it either. I honestly do not feel that anyone who saw the news that day or who was there to see it all first-hand will ever forget those images. I know I won't. It's insulting to suggest that I or anyone else needs a reminder of them. That to me is what that sculpture sitting in Rockerfeller Plaza would be doing and if I worked there and had to see it every day, I'd be pissed.

I am *all* for a permanent memorial for 9/11. However, I think there are better images we can depict in memoriam. Perhaps that is seen as sugar-coating it, but think of it this way:

The Vietnam Vets Memorial is a powerful reminder of the loss and horror of that war, just because it doesn't include a soldier blown to bits by a land mine....does that mean it's sugar-coated?
Tink
Wench 200 MCL Local 69
Bodice Goddess tm 
AG #010
Engaged to Sputty
The Margaritavillainess

DocHobbit

• http://www.moorechiropractic.net
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 02, 11:52:06 pm CST »

I have to agree with Random....

But if you want current PR footage, just shoot new scenes. I see nothing wrong with keeping some pics of the WTC around for historical background, kind of gives it provenance.

Editing old pics is pansy-ass, bad form, disrespectful and not historically correct. Having said that, making movies that would give terrorist new ideas like flying planes into buildings is just plain stupid if they have not already thought of it before. Rewriting scripts that had planes flying into buildings, and especially the WTC, was a good idea. But I think that refusing to show old movies with them is not being "sensitive", it's just being a PC wuss. If you don't want to or can't handle seeing those magnificent buildings again, then change the channel.

Oooppss, stepped on a soapbox...I'm down now...
DocHobbit

Calen_Darksbane

• aka Capt. Pico de Gallo
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 02, 09:50:16 am CST »

S'all right doc- yeah it would be like digitally editing out holocaust images or pics of the Arizona burning. No, we have to have those etched in our minds so we don't forget!!! Fuck the PC media. (yes even tho I've worked in it- i know what idiotic spineless people they are- given freedom they would prolly stand up but they answer to brainless execs)

politics, it's all about politics

personally, i have all the "real-time" images in my head I need thank you very much!
Lord Magistrate of the Shire formerly known as Stockwood

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 02, 09:58:48 am CST »

Its easier to wipe out all excistance of it and pretend it didn't happen, Those fucking idiots that take that approach never learn and thats why Kids the world is going to the 7th gate of Hell. I Hope Judis smiles down upon them from where he hangs so they know what thier turning a Blind eye can cause. :[

Reaver

• Blatant Member (300 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 1
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 02, 09:49:27 am CST »

Tink,

Gotta agree with Gardo on this.  Yes, the piece was shocking and disturbing.  But it should be.  I work a lot with the Rockland Center for Holocaust Studies and have a bunch of my seniors volunteering there.  Is it hard to be surrounded by all those images of death and suffering?  Yes, but it truly puts a human face on a monumental horror.  People in our area don't need that kind of visual reminder because we ALL knew friends and loved ones who were lost.  But for people from across the country and across the world who come to New York with only the images of falling "buildings", piles of rubble and now a huge empty space that they caught on CNN, anything that reinforces the HUMAN toll and loss can't be a bad thing.........

Sean
Sean the Reaver
Merrill McStubing: Master of The Wayward Pilgrim-the "Love Boat of Mayhem"
Owner-Hudson Highland Magical Supply
"Yeah-that's true; but I have a catapult."
"Who was that dead-sexy bastard???"
Still not "Mr Right"....but still "Mr. Right..Now"

TinkTheBodiceGoddess

• THE Bodice Goddess
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 02, 11:48:14 am CST »

Art is a matter of perception. My idea of trash may be another's idea of treasure, as the saying goes.

I guess the same holds true for things like that sculpture.....

My reason for the poll was not about that though, it was in regards to the WTC being edited out of movies scenes, etc.

We kinda got off on a tangent in this thread. Gee, that never happens on message boards...lol

Dang you people you've diluted my poll....(just kidding)
Tink
Wench 200 MCL Local 69
Bodice Goddess tm 
AG #010
Engaged to Sputty
The Margaritavillainess

DocHobbit

• http://www.moorechiropractic.net
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 02, 01:29:13 am CST »

Art is a matter of perception.

"What would you rather see? This (war-torn, dead, burnt body) or this (naked woman)?"
-Woody Harelson, The People Vs. Larry Flint

I reckon freedom of expression allows for both. And the truth is not always pleasant. You have to learn to cope with it sometimes.  History will repeat itself until the lesson is learned. ::bnghed::
DocHobbit
Pages: [1]   Go Up