Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

Archery

Longbow
- 9 (52.9%)
Recurve bow
- 6 (35.3%)
Horsebow
- 0 (0%)
Compound Bow
- 0 (0%)
Crossbow
- 2 (11.8%)
What's Archery?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Archery  (Read 2293 times)

Artimis_Lebeau

• Shady Member (100 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
    • http://hometown.aol.com/barnowl66/myhomepage/index.html
Archery
« on: Nov 18, 02, 03:17:22 pm CST »

What type of Bow do you prefer?  This is for the archers out there....

Myself,  I prefer a longbow, however, this season I started shooting crossbow, taditional style.  So this winter I am making a traditional crossbow.  The woodworking is chore, but so far it promises to be well worth the effort.
Artimis Lebeau

A friend will tell you they would help you hide a dead body.
A true friend will be right beside you with both hands dragging the corpse away.

Saphyne

• Blatant Member (300 Posts)
    • http://www.saphyne.com
Replying to Topic 'Archery'
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 02, 03:21:22 pm CST »

I voted for Recurve, but I'm really split between horsebow and recurve. I'd like to take up crossbow once I get relatively good at bowstring archery.
Saphyne
IWG Madam, Local 69
R.E.A.P. #1, Crown Princess

www.saphyne.com

Magnus

• Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: -6
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 02, 06:19:02 pm CST »

Originally posted by Artimis_Lebeau

What type of Bow do you prefer?  This is for the archers out there....

Myself,  I prefer a longbow, however, this season I started shooting crossbow, taditional style.  So this winter I am making a traditional crossbow.  The woodworking is chore, but so far it promises to be well worth the effort.

You left out "Gimme a bow, any bow".

Your right the woodworking can be a chore, but the finished product is WELL worth the trouble. Made one back in Jr. High. I wish that I still had it. Are doing a medieval style or modern?
Magnus

"Idiots are fun. No wonder every village wants one."

Artimis_Lebeau

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 02, 08:25:34 am CST »

Working on a traditional style.  Lever release, rolling block style.  Bow irons for the prod with steel wedges for tightening the prod down.  Most mechanical parts ordered from Alcheminc.com,  rolling block was ordered through a freind in the SCA who has been making crossbows for a very long time.  I currently shoot a bow made by Master Aellen of House Crossbow. (hope I spelled that correctly)

I shoot traditional style with no fixed sights. A wee bit harder to shoot but more of a challenge.

The longbow I shoot is a 68" take down longbow manufactured by GreatPlains bowmakers.  The bambo limbs are quick and the weight is set for 50lbs at 28".  

I'll have to post pictures of the crossbow when I finish it.  Hopefully it will even work.

:p
Artimis Lebeau

A true friend will be right beside you with both hands dragging the corpse away.

Tempest_Gypsy

• http://www.geocities.com/copperphantom/index.html
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 02, 12:17:55 am CST »

I'm very lucky to have my mother's old left-handed beautiful recurve bow from when she was in college.  I don't have the space ot time to practice really, but I'd love to get better.  I've always beena  carack shot with a cross bow.  sorry, guys, but I'm an uncannily good aim in the cup area....
The Tempest Gypsy
Mistress of the Raging Calm
Wench #1370
Witchy Wenchy Womyn #21
72.1% Faire Folk Corrupt
*Logic is the refuge of those who lack a fierce heart*
Meow!!

DocHobbit

• Scandalous Member (50 Posts)
    • http://www.moorechiropractic.net
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 02, 02:24:08 am CST »

Recurve is my favorite. I own a recurve, compound and longbow (which I made myself from Bingham Archery, 60" long, 70# at 28").  The next bow I get will be one of the horsebows from Wolfgaard because I want to see how they compare to recurves.  I also want to make a new recurve from the horns of an African Oryx. I saw one once made by Black Widow and it was a sweet takedown model. Of course, I just have to shoot the Oryx myself.

I prefer my recurve to my longbow because of better ballistics and a lot less shock to the hand. The recurve is only 40# pull and they both shoot 175 fps.
DocHobbit

Dmitri

• whatever...
  • THE WOLF
  • Inebriation Level: 48
  • Home Faire: NYRF
  • Dmitri Vladescu, IBRSC Wolf, Retired (Semi)
    • The Silver Knights
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 02, 04:45:14 pm CST »

Horsebows... I've been shooting since I was five... Used to compete in 3-d tournaments... Have a compound, longbow and several recurves but NOTHING I've shot compares to a horsebow for smoothness, speed and flight...

Then again I sell them so I'm biased... But I wouldn't have started selling them if they weren't so fucking cool...
"Steel is the coinage of the Warrior, with it he purchases what pleases him."

Artimis_Lebeau

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 02, 09:05:44 pm CST »

Dmitri,

With the horsebow, do you shoot it with the three finger release or do you use the thumb ring?  Also do you shoot with the arrow on the right hand side or left?  I have seen the horsebow shot by a few folks and they all seem to shoot it differently.  I also noticed that in the pictures on your website, Puppy hold the string similiar to how the Orc in Lord of the Rings held his string, with the index finger below the arrow and the middle and ring finger above the arrow, Is this a usual hold for the string on a horsebow?  In all my years of shooting, I have only seen that string method in these two particular cases.  Puppy, if you have any input, I would be glad to hear from you as well...  Thanks.

Artimis
Artimis Lebeau

Saphyne

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 02, 07:52:27 am CST »

BTW, Artemis...

Congratulations!
Saphyne
IWG Madam, Local 69

www.saphyne.com

Artimis_Lebeau

« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 02, 08:21:22 am CST »

Originally posted by Saphyne

BTW, Artemis...

Congratulations!

Thank you,   however Accepting my daughters awards placed a much larger smile on my face that afternoon...:D
Artimis Lebeau

Saphyne

« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 02, 10:13:26 am CST »

I had noticed that. Funny, though... I never knew you were an SCA archer. What barony are you in? I need to find a practice.
Saphyne
IWG Madam, Local 69

www.saphyne.com

Artimis_Lebeau

« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 02, 10:41:44 am CST »

Originally posted by Saphyne

I had noticed that. Funny, though... I never knew you were an SCA archer. What barony are you in? I need to find a practice.

I've been off and on in the SCA for just over 19 years, more steadily within the past 2 years.  

I am within the Barony of Dragonship Haven, Up in the Hamden CT, Area (New Haven).  Our weekly practice is held on Sunday's just North of Bridgeport In Stratford, CT at Rosevelt Park. Currently practices are a hit or miss due to weather and such, and once the snow hits the ground they will be postponed until the spring.  You'd be more than welcomed to come up and shoot anytime, although it may be a long haul from your area (NJ I believe), however we shoot from 1:00 - 4:00.  I will not be at this wekeends practice (If it is held) due to the holiday.

How long have you been shooting?
Artimis Lebeau

Dmitri

• whatever...
  • THE WOLF
  • Inebriation Level: 48
  • Home Faire: NYRF
  • Dmitri Vladescu, IBRSC Wolf, Retired (Semi)
    • The Silver Knights
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 02, 09:13:23 am CST »

I shoot a 3 finger release... I shoot bare finger or with calfhair tabs. I've never found a glove that gave me enough fingertip control for a clean release (release being 90% of an accurate shot) I've tried mechanicals for compound, I think they suck. I've yet to find a thumbring that fits, but I'd love to try one! As for shooting of the bow? usually the left. But the horsebows have no arrow shelf, so they are pretty universal. I do shoot of the right side when I'm doing "trick shots" like lying onmy back to simulate shooting over the neck of a downed horse.

Many horsebows (composite bows for you D&D fans out there) are shot from under the arm as well and have shorter draw lengths because of it... They are a different animal than other bows... But are alot of fun...

As for Pup's release... I think he was just grabbing the string... in no particular way. As for Lurtz in the LOTR, I think the prosthetics on his arms forced that release...
"Steel is the coinage of the Warrior, with it he purchases what pleases him."

Artimis_Lebeau

« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 02, 12:20:11 pm CST »

Dmitri,

I was curious about the release,  seeing it LOTR's I was amused by it..  then seeing the pic with puppy I was wondering if it really worked.  I know for kicks, I tried that style pull back, and it was very uncomfortable and never made it to the release stage as I was unsure how the arrow would have flown.  

I have only seen a horsebow released once with a thumb ring..  it was impressive. As to obtaining a good thumb ring,  If I run across any I'll post it for you here where it was I saw it if you are interested.

As a side note..  final fit testings of all pieces for the crossbow I am working on are complete, and the fits are good (bow prod snug and secure, sideplates fitted and rolling block/release lever appear to work), so once final sanding is done and the final finish is applied to the wood, I'll post how the bow worked (or not).

Have you ever given thought to making bolt quivers and selling them on the old website?  Might not be a huge selling item, however, with the creativity I have seen with your leatherworking, I am sure some good ideas could be created in regards to an upper leg bolt quiver..  Just a thought...
Artimis Lebeau

Pages: [1]   Go Up