Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

mandatory military service??

yes
- 12 (54.5%)
no
- 10 (45.5%)
males only
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: Apr 01, 04, 10:10:10 pm CST

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: support your opinion  (Read 2618 times)

biker

• Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 3
support your opinion
« on: Apr 01, 04, 10:10:10 pm CST »

OK  should the USA have a mandatory military service? at all times not just times of war, to include males and females??

please give a reason either way to support your choice.
"It is better to die for something then to live for nothing"
"A wise man once said a pen is mightier than a sword, Im pretty sure he had a pen up his ass because if it were a sword, he wouldnt be saying that."

King of the typos

biker

support your opinion
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 04, 10:12:52 pm CST »

I dont think a mandatory military service is viable, has you now have to motivate people who dont want to be there to do something they dont want.

I do think that in a time of war a minimum of 2 years should be given, for both males and females.
"A wise man once said a pen is mightier than a sword, Im pretty sure he had a pen up his ass because if it were a sword, he wouldnt be saying that."

King of the typos

allenlorick

• Notorious Member (200 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
support your opinion
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 04, 12:17:34 am CST »

While I agree it would be a challenge with people not wanting to be there, on the other hand once it becomes just accepted as a part of life it should get easier.

My vote is yes.  I just think of the solutions it would create in our society.  For example, perhaps obesety would go down.  People would actually be familiar with firearms instead of just afraid of them.  Not to mention all of the teens today that just plain need instilled a sense of discipline, and respect (not to mention some common sense).  Not to mention it would provide the entire adult population with at least one job skill, even if it's not something they want to do for the rest of thier lives, they would still be able to support themselves instead of us doing it for them.  (Last time i drove past the food stamp office parked right in front was an Avalanche and a Navigator, I know the people working there don't make that kind of money.)

Then again, when ya read in the paper about some nut job shooting school kids, or blowing up a courthouse nine times outa ten they were trained by one branch of the service or another.  If you increase the percentage trained by the military, does that in turn increase the percentage of nut jobs?

Former 91B10
Field Artillary Medic
HHB 1/157th
Allen Lorick
Rogue #675
Harbinger of Chaos
Propigator of Confusion

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy.  If you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.  -Socrates

The best form of government is democracy tempered with assasination.  -Voltaire

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 44
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
support your opinion
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 04, 11:24:53 am CST »

I completely believe and support of mandatory service for a set time such as 2 years.

Having a mandatory service would in my opinion, create a more unified nation as well as a nation no longer suffering from the (excuse the pun) massive problem of obesity. Once someone is in shape, they feel good about themselves and try to maintain that. In addition, freedom is not free and it would be a small price to pay to learn how to defend your country.
I have more to add but I cannot seem to get my thoughts out the way I want within this forum so I leave you with what I started with.

Doing this though will never pass in this "LIBERAL" nation of ours.

::USA::
"Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici" ("By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe"

"Religion is about faith, not evidence. Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges—it's more like apples and sewing machines." ~ Jack Horner

Geneva

• Scandalous Member (50 Posts)
support your opinion
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 04, 12:09:03 pm CST »

Two years.  Men and women.  That is all.

As for the reason...  there are lots, as already mentioned.  On the woman issue, I have grown up in a world where I've been told I can do anything a man can do.  Well, if that's true, then I should be held to the same level of duty to my country as men are.  Personally, I find it hard to believe that women aren't required to register for selective service.  And I'll stop now before this becomes a gender equality rant!

Andrea
IWG#1025
Andrea

aka Geneva - She who remains neutral

FairieTink

• Ikariam Group
  • Celebrious Member (800 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 28
support your opinion
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 04, 03:18:40 pm CST »

Oh yes, at least two years, if not four, for both men and women. Once you got a generation through it, it would be expected so it wouldn't be a huge deal. Not only would it make the country stronger, I think it would cut back on those crazed people running wild cause just going through boot camp would pick them out.
Captain Filthy Tink Knockboots - Bone Momma - HMS Boner
Privateer, IWG #2416, Merc #591, Ren Rat

allenlorick

• Notorious Member (200 Posts)
support your opinion
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 04, 04:44:45 pm CST »

As far as the men and women, or men only issue.....I have personally served with MANY females that I would happily go the line with and trust them completely to cover me as well as I took care o them.  

Most notably was Spc. Campell, she came back from PLDC and said "Hey Brown, while I was there, I learned to spit." and then demonstrated.  When we ran the obsticle course she came out dirtier than any of the men.  Again, I'd happily serve on the line with her or many others like her.
Allen Lorick
Rogue #675
Harbinger of Chaos
Propigator of Confusion

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy.  If you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.  -Socrates

The best form of government is democracy tempered with assasination.  -Voltaire

Dmitri

• whatever...
  • THE WOLF
  • Inebriation Level: 48
  • Home Faire: NYRF
  • Dmitri Vladescu, IBRSC Wolf, Retired (Semi)
    • The Silver Knights
support your opinion
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 04, 08:21:35 am CDT »

Yes... and you can give people an opt-out: you don't due you're mandatory service, and you don't EARN you're right to vote...
"Steel is the coinage of the Warrior, with it he purchases what pleases him."

Sir Rob

• Blatant Member (300 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: -1
support your opinion
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 04, 02:18:45 pm CDT »

What about the people who can't do mandatory service.

Mystle
rogue #898

Pub Club #177

official bodice inspector

"The sign on the back of the car said critters of hollywood" Silent Bob

"Anyone can be a father. But it takes someone special to be a Dad"  Unknown

C.O.R.D. #5 ( Church Of The Rubber Duck )

Dmitri

• whatever...
  • THE WOLF
  • Inebriation Level: 48
  • Home Faire: NYRF
  • Dmitri Vladescu, IBRSC Wolf, Retired (Semi)
    • The Silver Knights
support your opinion
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 04, 02:53:58 pm CDT »

just because you're disabled doesn't mean there's NOTHING you can do...

Lots of office work in the military...

Serve your country, mandatory 2 years, and you get to vote..
"Steel is the coinage of the Warrior, with it he purchases what pleases him."

Magnus

• Inebriation Level: -6
support your opinion
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 04, 06:52:25 pm CDT »

I say "HELL FUCKIN' YEAH!"

I have all kinds of reasons, but a few include what has already been said: Discpline, Character building, sense of Honor and Fair Play, and Job skill(s). If I'm not mistaken, aren't two-thirds of the Military non-combat related jobs? Sure some conscientious objectors or disabled people, with proper documentation, should be allowed some kinda option (maybe some kinda Civil Service requirement for the same time period?), but I think most would be able to find something to do without having to worry about combat except as a last resort.

Now with that said, I think most "good" people will already have those qualities to begin with and not necessarily need the Military (or Civil Service) to bring that out.
Magnus

"Idiots are fun. No wonder every village wants one."

Kero(Fire)Hawk

• Scandalous Member (50 Posts)
    • http://www.thestonephoenix.com
support your opinion
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 04, 08:12:18 pm CDT »

I don't think military service should be mandatory for several reasons.  First off let me say that I am very pro-military.  My father was an officer in the Navy for 28 years and my husband is a Cpl in the USMC.  I my self have considered joining several times but for various reasons did not.  One of my reasons against mms is that quite frankly there are some people who I really don't want put in a postion to have my friends or families lives in their hands.  Another is that not everyone is suited for the mold that military service tries to fit you into.  And actually most jobs in the military (all really with the exception of some of the navy jobs) requires you to have basic combat skills.  However even the Navy teaches everyone to fire a weapon in boot camp.    Now being in the military doesn't stop anyone from becoming a criminal and do you really want to teach any of them to be better shots.   You also have to take into account that not everyone can make it through bootcamp.  That is why they have it.  They use it to weed out the people who can't cut it.  Not just physically but mentaly as well.  And while not every job involves heavy manual labor a certian level of fitness is required because ANYONE can be put in to a combat situation.  For example my husband is in Avation Ordnance.  He loads bombs and amuntion on to FA-18 hornets.  While he is involved in this field he usually is on a carrier or at a base behind the lines.  Miles behind the lines.  During OEF he was sent VERY close to the lines and infact they came under fire several times.  Along side him in the fox hole was a beancounter, a guy from admin, and a guy from the mess tent.  All not who you might expect to find on the front or who you would expect to be able to hold their own in a fire fight.  I know I am on a bit of a rant here but the military is a subject I feel very strongly about.  

On a final note though, I do believe that to run for president you should serve at LEAST 4 years active duty.  Not reserves, not national guard, but active duty.  If you are going to send men and women out to die you need to know what it is like to be in that postition yourself.   ::USA::  

Ok, stepping off my soap box now.
Kerowyn (Fire)Hawke
Wench #2753 Local 96  Usquequaque Lentesco (Always Flexible)

RenMerc Battle Bytch #654Chicks with swords shall inherit the Earth

"Would you like me to discribe it to you, or shall I find you a box?" -Legolas LotR TT

So many kilts to check and so very little time

http://www.livejournal.com/~kerowyn_hawk/

TinkTheBodiceGoddess

• THE Bodice Goddess
  • Celebrious Member (800 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 16
    • http://hometown.aol.com/celtink/myhomepage/profile.html
support your opinion
« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 04, 11:16:56 pm CDT »

I say yes because I think it would benefit our youth to serve as it would give them useful skills that they can use outside of the military. It would build pride and self-esteem and get them in shape.
I often think I would have done myself a lot of good having enlisted right out of high school. Maybe I'd have had more direction or a better idea of what I wanted to be and not ended up floundering in college and coming out with a BS (both literally and figuratively) liberals arts type of degree.
I also absolutely agree with Kero's comment that in order to be able to run for president, you must have served at least 4 years active duty.

How can someone who never did, be commander and chief of the world's largest and strongest military?
Tink
Wench 200 MCL Local 69
Bodice Goddess tm 
Capt. Menstruella DeVille of the PMS Scallyrag
"Retaining the Seven Seas"
AG #010
Engaged to Sputty
The Margaritavillainess
When life gives you lemons...ask for tequila and salt!!
"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."
I'm a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll world

Shells

• Nefarious Member (10 Posts)
support your opinion
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 04, 11:42:03 pm CDT »

I also voted no, and tho I was an Aviation Ordnanceman (/woman) myself. I have seen my fair share of people who just flat out have no desire to be in the military and they are there of their own accord.

It does horrible things for morale and personally I just want people there that have chosen to make the sacrifice if necessary not a bunch of disgruntled 18 year old punks.

but I do agree that the president should be required to serve and I also think that he should be required to uphold all of the statutes of the UCMJ as well.

IYAOYAS
Ash

biker

support your opinion
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 04, 08:14:36 am CDT »

hey Shells,

go stack some BB's would ya!!!!! :lol:

King of the typos

ICin

• Ignominious Member (20 Posts)
Mandatory Military Service
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 04, 10:05:42 am CDT »

As a former Marine (and one who realized pretty darn quick it was not where I wanted to be but did it anyway) and as a parent, I would support at least 2 years of mandatory service (not necessarily military) for both males and females.  If someone is not able, or is truly a CO, let them do AmeriCorps or Peace Corps or medic, etc.  Not everyone necesarily needs weapons skills, but just the service could be a good learning experience.  "Community service hours" on a local level are required to graduate from high school now to make them good citizens, why not on a national level? Could also be a good way for college to be more affordable when they're done.

I also remember that for most of us who went in voluntarily and were doing our time, the gung-ho people were just as demoralizing as the ones with the really bad attitudes; the bad attitudes were at least amusing at times (such as the one Marine who had "Fuck You" tattooed along the pinky-side of his right hand, wrist to fingertip, so everytime he saluted . . . .  Served his purpose, it was amazing how fast his discharge went through.).

Indolent Cin of the Seven Deadly Cins (I'Cin)
IWG #2197, Local 42 (We ARE the answer!)
Roberta de Cumberbund, Privateer #419, Sniper/Lookout of the Raging Hormones
Mercenary # (what IS that number, anyway?)
Indolent Cin of the Seven Deadly Cins (I'Cin)
IWG#2197, MDRF Local 42 (We ARE the answer!)
Roberta De Cummerbund, Privateer #419, Sniper/Lookout of the Raging Hormones
Mercenary # (what IS that ^&%$(#@ number?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up