Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Bladed Rose  (Read 7460 times)

Magnus

• Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: -6
The Bladed Rose
« on: Apr 30, 03, 07:41:30 pm CDT »

Marcus sat staring at the Log for over an hour. The Log was to the Seawitch, his brother's ship, and the only thing to be returned. It had been found a few weeks ago in one of the Seawitch's longboats, clasped in hands of a skeleton. It was presumed that the skeleton belonged to Petty Officer Jim Koates, as the only identifiers belonged to him. Marcus had the unique privelage of being the Captain of the Bladed Rose, the ship that was sent looking for the Seawitch when she became over-due. The Seawitch was out on an secret mission for the crown when she was lost.
Magnus

"Idiots are fun. No wonder every village wants one."

johnians

• Blatant Member (300 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
The Bladed Rose
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 03, 03:06:45 pm CDT »

44 Degrees by 2 Degrees was the last entry in the log.  The Ships' homeport was Liverpool. It was delivering a cargo of linen and wood to the Canary Islands. The last date entered, Michaelmas 1857.
 What could have happened to the ship and crew during such a short voyage?
Rogue#402, RenMerc #151, Bard #149

Magnus

The Bladed Rose
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 03, 05:38:24 pm CDT »

Marcus could only wonder as to what had happened. There was only one thing to do though. He had his orders and always followed. What's more he and his brother had joined the Royal Navy together. They had been life long friends as well as brothers. He had to find the ship if only to give his brother a proper farewell.

"Navigator!!"

"Aye sir"

"Set course! 44 degrees north lattitude, by 2 degrees west." Marcus barked out.

"Aye, Aye Captain!"

The sails were set and the Bladed Rose was under way. "God, please let this be over quickly" Marcus prayed.
Magnus

johnians

The Bladed Rose
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 03, 09:26:48 am CDT »

After two day of smooth glassy seas, the ship passed Cadiz and continued to follow the path of the missing ship.  Only a few trading vessals bound for the Mediterranean sea through the Straits of Gibralter were seen. Marcus put into port at Tangiers to see if there was any report of the vessal in the logs of the harbormaster. After mooring the ship at a safe distance, Marcus boarded a longboat with a small crew and set off for the dock.

Jonah, his brother would surely have taken on water and fresh supplies before heading out into the Atlantic for the Canaries.

The Harbormaster, Senhor Dobles was helpful after some sovereigns were passed in opening the logs for inspection.
Sure enough the vessal had made port. Tangiers was not known as a safe
port due to presence of Pirates  headquartered in nearby Algeria.
But at least the ship was still safe when it had been in Tangiers.

As Marcus was leaving the Harbormasters, a black haired gypsy approached him as if she recognized him. With a swirl of her red skirt and
a noise of bells from her belt, she began to speak.

Magnus

The Bladed Rose
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 03, 04:57:57 pm CDT »

"A shilling for your thoughts, m'lord?" the Gypsy requested.

"Uh, no. Begone wench!" ordered Marcus, "I have more important things to do than to dally with a Harlot just now!"

The Gypsy leaned closer and whispered "I have something of interest for you. That is if your Marcus Hawks of Liverpool...."

Marcus stood in stunned silence. How could she know his name and home port? Marcus decided to find out.

"Well Lady, I may have SOME time. Tell me do you like ships?" Marcus queried.
Magnus

johnians

The Bladed Rose
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 03, 10:53:54 am CDT »

"Yes, Senhor I fancy ships and their so handsome captains." she replied.

"How do you know my name, as we have never met? Marcus inquired.

"Oh come now captain , one look at your face was enough to tell me
who you must be." She went on and while talking, continued to lead him down a narrow path . They entered a small tavern. and after drinks were ordered and taken to a table in a dark corner, she began again.

"You are the very image of your brother Jonah."
 "Then you met my twin when he stopped here for supplies? " Marcus asked.

The gypsy smiled.
 "Shall I read your fortune as I did his?" she asked.

"What good is that, I don't believe the cards tell the truth" Marcus said.

"Ah Senhor, the very fact you are here was foretold when I read his
future. Perhaps this time they will help solve the mystery you seek
to solve." With that reply she took from a hidden pocket in her sash
an old well-used Tarot deck.

She began to lay out the cards after having Marcus shuffle them.

The First card representing the past  when turned over was...
The Hanged Man ......

Magnus

The Bladed Rose
« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 04, 04:36:17 pm CDT »

The Hanged Man.....

"I forsee some serious trouble ahead. You should be aware of those around you as many are not who OR what they seem. Funny, Jonah drew the same card and no he is missing" stated the Gypsy Witch

"How do you know he's missing?! I haven't said anything about him?!" exclaimed Marcus angrily.
Magnus

johnians

The Bladed Rose
« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 04, 04:56:44 pm CDT »

The gypsy did not reply but laid another card on the table. It was the Queen of Cups reversed.

"There is a woman involved who seeks to do you harm", she said and then placed a card next to the Queen. It was the Magician.
 "You will have a change of fortune. The Hanged man represents your past.
 The Queen of Cups your present and the Magician is your future. If you can get past the mysterious woman your luck be positive for the future".

Saying this she replaced the cards into the deck.

Still confused I left the gypsy and wandered away.

The Hornd One

• Opprobrious Member (30 Posts)
The Bladed Rose
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 04, 10:42:07 pm CST »

Marcus stalked back toward his ship, annoyed but confused by the seeress' interpretation of the cards. If I can get past the mysterious woman in my future?' he grumbled to himself. What mystery? what woman? There are days when I swear the soothsayers exist solely to confound me--
But as he approached the dock that moored his longboat, his eyes fell on a figure in a long cloak, apparently waiting....a womany figure, at that...

MorganDesdichado

• Prominent Member (600 Posts)
The Bladed Rose
« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 05, 02:26:31 pm CDT »

The figure approuched Marcus & in a soft low voice asked. "Are you the Captain of the Bladed Rose?". "Yes, I am." Marcus replied,"What can I do for you?"."You can take me with you.", she said. Marcus answered "I'm on a mission to find my brother." " I know," she replied," that's why I'm here, to help you." "My Lady," Marcus said," this voyage will be dangerous & I cannot spend all of time watching out for you." The woman's foot lashed out, catching Marcus in the back of his knee, causing him to land on the flat of his back. From the folds of her cloak, she drew a cutlass, with it's point touching his neck. "I'm no Lady,"she said,"and as you can see, I can take care of myself."
If you're feeling good, don't worry. You'll get over it.

Wycked

• Ignominious Member (20 Posts)
The Bladed Rose
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 05, 09:46:38 pm CDT »

Marcus stared at her in a bit of shock but his senses were quick to return to him. "Kill me and you'll be going no where. Now, let me up!" The woman withdrew her blade and then offered him a hand. "I can get up with out your help, woman!" Marcus growled.  

The woman looked up at him and said matter-of-factly, "So, when do we leave?" Marcus was astounded at the audacity this woman had. I told her no, and she had better listen. She's wasting precious time! Suddenly he remembered the words the gypsy had said. "There is a woman involved who seeks to do you harm... If you can get past the mysterious woman your luck be positive for the future." He shook his head and thought a bit to himself. This just has to be a coincidence...but she did say...then this woman appears out of no where... The woman clears her throat in impatience as she waits for his reply. Marcus, snapped out of thought by the noise, blinks and then realizes that he almost said the gypsy and her cards were right. Tarot cards, HA! What nonsense! I can't believe I actually almost believed those lies!

He shook it off and now more irritated than ever, thanks to the remembrance of the gypsy, he snapped, "WE? There is no we. My men and I are leaving as soon as you are gone. Now, leave us be. You have no business with us Lady or not."

To this the woman had one simple reply...she laughed. As she laughed her long golden brown curls bounced and shined in the sun.  She was a truly beautiful woman with a very mysterious air. Before a rather red faced Marcus could get out another word she spoke again. "Now, if you think you are going to get rid of me that easily, you are sorely mistaken. I won't take no for an answer. Now, captain step a side and let me board."[/i]
::asth::  Something Wycked This Way Posts... ::asth::

warlock

• Scandalous Member (50 Posts)
The Bladed Rose
« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 05, 09:59:48 am CDT »

Marcus looked toward the Bladed Rose and watched her rock slowly at anchor. The ships rocking motion helped Marcus focus on the task at hand. How to get rid of this woman.

warlock

• Scandalous Member (50 Posts)
The Bladed Rose
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 05, 02:53:59 pm CDT »

As soon as Marcus boarded the ship he has the crew put the bitch in irons, had her flogged and stuffed in the hole.

MorganDesdichado

• Prominent Member (600 Posts)
The Bladed Rose
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 06, 09:51:15 pm CST »

Marcus went to his cabin after ordering his crew to haul anchor. He poured a brady and settled into his bunk. He finished his drink and let the rocking motion of the ship lull him into sleep. He slept fitfully, tossing about his bunk.  He woke, feeling a steel tip under his chin, then a familar sultry voice said, "Bad dreams Captain?".
If you're feeling good, don't worry. You'll get over it.

Koehiir

• Opprobrious Member (30 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: -5
Re: The Bladed Rose
« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 06, 03:08:32 pm CDT »

She smiled down at him, not a pleasant smile.  It had been a long time since he'd heard that voice, the voice of death herself.  He smiled, a cruel smile, a welcoming smile.

Savoir Faire

• Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 47
« Reply #15 on: Aug 21, 06, 09:47:03 am CDT »

Then answers. "No" a shot rings out sending her backwards with a gunshot wound to the thigh. The captain leaps to his feet drawing a sword on her. "I fell asleep on my pistol. "
Savoir Faire Is EveryWhere

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
  • Inebriation Level: 51
  • The Forgotten Musketeer!!!
    • http://www.madamebonancieux.com/musket.html
« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 06, 10:56:03 am CDT »

Then everyone died.

The end.
"Only a man who drinks could talk like that!"
"We escape the unendurable however we can."
- Vincent Price 'The Comedy of Terrors'

johnians

« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 06, 02:22:24 pm CDT »

Staggering to his feet, Marcus slowly opened his eyes.
"That was was some nightmare", he said to himself.
Too much grog and that fortuneteller's mumbo jumbo brought death into my dreams.  As he started to pull on his boots he remembered the woman who had sought passage on his ship.
 Remembering suddenly her current whereabouts on the ship, he dreaded his next confrontation with her. "I could send my first mate to see to her release but I can't let her take out her anger on an innocent party. Besides her flashing eyes intrigue me as none other in recent times."
 Making his way to the brig, he heard foul language and angry screeching coming up the stairs. Reaching the barred door to the brig, a voice cried out
"Let me out of here this minute, your scurvy pig, If you ever want to see your brother alive, you had better release me. Without my help you have no chance
of finding him except in Davy Jones locker."
Marcus, despite inner warnings, decided to unlock the cell. Opening the door,
 he spied the woman chained to the oarlock on the far wall.
When she saw Marcus enter the cell, holding his glove over his nose to stifle the foul odors of the brig, She cried out: "

Hallertauer

• Ikariam Group
  • Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 19
« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 06, 08:55:54 am CDT »

She cried out: Get me a roll of toilet paper!

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
  • Inebriation Level: 51
  • The Forgotten Musketeer!!!
    • http://www.madamebonancieux.com/musket.html
« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 06, 10:10:12 am CDT »

Then everyone died for real.

The end.
"Only a man who drinks could talk like that!"
"We escape the unendurable however we can."