Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Martial Arts, XMA and...  (Read 2791 times)

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 44
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
The Martial Arts, XMA and...
« on: Dec 01, 03, 08:34:21 am CST »

Ok the Discovery channel did a 2 hr special on the XMA "Xtreme Martial Arts" featuring some of the most talented Martial Artists. Who caught this, and what did you think. Also are you also a student of the arts, and are you a tradionalist or a revitalist?

I have studied since I was old enough to make mayhem. However, the last few years I have allowed this temple to fall into dilapidation. There was something in the way they were presenting the documentary, that relit a fire inside me. To reconstruct and fashion myself as I did when I was young.

Just a note
This also includes all forms of The Martial Arts, eastern western african, south American, Native and so on.
I am not asking the lineage of styles or the masters involved in those styles this is a forum welcome to all. Please do not condemn any forms, styles, teachers, studios, or franchised markets
"Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici" ("By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe"

"Religion is about faith, not evidence. Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges—it's more like apples and sewing machines." ~ Jack Horner

Random

• Renowned Member (500 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
Re: The Martial Arts, XMA and...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 03, 10:46:25 am CST »

Quote from: "Gardo"

Please do not condone any forms, styles, teachers, studios, or franchised markets

You mean Condemn NOT Condone... otherwise you just asked them to argue and put down each others teachers, styles, etc...

As for the Program... I watched it last night and I was quite intregued and impressed.  I enjoyed it most completely.  As for fight training for me...  I studied with Master Kim in Tae Kwan Do for a few years... and then became a student of anyone who would teach me.  ::chuckles:: My "Style" is a mess... but it's effective.  Then again Gardo, you know that...

Side note: Where were you Saturday Night Punk?!
Random- The Moulin Rogue

Chaos, Disorder, Confusion... My work here is done.

"I don't care what you say, it doesn't grow back... what you feel is cobwebs!" ~Gardo

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 03, 11:28:56 am CST »

You mean Condemn NOT Condone...

Fixed it... and as for Saturday I had a very good reason for not being there

Well since I posted this I guess I should also go into more detail  8)

My Father had started my training when i was 3 yrs old and showed some talent (A few Sat morn Kung Fu theater and a trip to the Chinese Resturant was all it took) I had studied with my master for more than a decade then went from one form to another and gaining rank in 4 different styles and a short lived pro/semi-pro career in the caribian. I have over 20+ years in the arts.

I am now a hodge podge of different styles taken from various forms and molded to fit my personality and body. My favorite and most effective is Mui Thai. I'm a bit of a traditionalist with a revitalists mindset, knowing that tradition is strong but evelution and change breeds life.  I had gotten the rep for a while as the eternal white belt because I always wanted more and something new as well as declining belts. My master always said "A measure of your skill is not done in cloth but in the talent that you have and live."
"Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici" ("By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe"

"Religion is about faith, not evidence. Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges—it's more like apples and sewing machines." ~ Jack Horner

Admiral_DeSuave_Cristo

• Shady Member (100 Posts)
  • The Latin Heatwave Is Back
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 03, 10:27:33 pm CST »

Ahh, The Martial Arts. Ever since I could remember, I have been learning Kung Fu from my father. As I grew older I joined an Aikido<sp> for about 4 years, and a shootfighting/tae fighting class for 4 years. It's been great. I love mixing the arts together. My Senpi, Paul Bertalino, teaches "Makiati Jitsu" which roughly translates into "The art of body breaking" which is basically brazilian ju jitsu, aikido, judo, and shootfighting with some tae boxing and throws it all together (first learning the basics from eats genre respectably, then collaberating them all.)
The Brain: Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but we're already naked.

Kathy

• Opprobrious Member (30 Posts)
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 03, 09:58:58 am CST »

Well?????  Don't leave us in suspenders?
Kathy
aka Toosha
aka Big Comfy Wench

"I hate it when I wake up in a tub full of ice!"

"Do you ever have the feeling that you're being watched?  That the eyes of strange and eerie things are upon ya?"

Draco

• Blatant Member (300 Posts)
    • http://hometown.aol.com/dracovonherzog/myhomepage/profile.html
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 03, 11:42:42 pm CST »

Like what?  You fear my Kung Pao, it is too strong for you?
"If I'm to be a chauvinist pig, I want to be number one pig."  Bobby Riggs

Calen_Darksbane

• aka Capt. Pico de Gallo
  • Celebrious Member (800 Posts)
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 03, 07:20:55 am CST »

Quote from: "Draco"

Like what?  You fear my Kung Pao, it is too strong for you?

No AssGroper, it is your Kung Pao breath that shakes the pillars of heaven!
Lord Magistrate of the Shire formerly known as Stockwood

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • Illustrious Member (5000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 87
  • The Stealth Rogue
Not too bad but...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 03, 08:50:57 am CST »

I knew about it ahead of time because I'm currently training under Sensei Frank Bouchonville who is one of Shihan Fumio Demura's students.  Shihan Demura was interviewed in XMA.

I liked it and how it started to explain some aspects of martial arts BUT it was like watching ADD Martial Arts Theater.  They'd start to explain somethng and then zip off and show you some flash and bang.  They's start a biophysics lesson and then jump off and show you some reality show style footage of one of the stars of the show.  It just jumped around too much and deleved about as deeply into the martial arts as a rock skipping across water.

It made for some good entertainment and there was enough tidbits of info on martial arts to drum up interest.  It was great motivation too (I ended up practicing sword kata during the second half of it just because I couldn't stay on the couch).  

All in all I give it a 4 on education and a 8 on entertainment.

Then again - it did motivate Gardo to get off his widening backside and come over and finally join my karate school so it couldn't be all that bad.   :wink:
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
I'm here to keep the place from being boring.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 03, 09:23:55 am CST »

Then again - it did motivate Gardo to get off his widening backside and come over and finally join my karate school so it couldn't be all that bad.

First off Ass Hat i hope that a Tardis falls on you and you die.
Second I cant wait to to test my metal against yours. Just remember you asked me to join.

:twisted:

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 03, 09:31:22 am CST »

OK, it also seems the show also motivated me to open my yap and get my butt whipped.  Good with the bad I guess.   :?

So, Gardo - still want that taped copy of it I have or are you going to wait for the DVD of it to arrive in the mail?
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 03, 07:49:43 am CST »

Quote from: "The 6th Rogue"
OK, it also seems the show also motivated me to open my yap and get my butt whipped.  Good with the bad I guess.   :?

It's a vicious circle my friend. It's gonna get more vicious when I lay hands, legs, knees, elbows on ya  :D

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 03, 07:53:12 am CST »

:roll:
King Nerd of Dorkshire.

Kathy

• Opprobrious Member (30 Posts)
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 03, 01:13:03 pm CST »

But why did Gardo miss last Saturday!!!!!!!

::puppydogeyes::
Kathy
aka Toosha
aka Big Comfy Wench

"I hate it when I wake up in a tub full of ice!"

"Do you ever have the feeling that you're being watched?  That the eyes of strange and eerie things are upon ya?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up