Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ring pieces  (Read 1893 times)

Sylencer_Sy

• Libidinous Member (40 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
    • http://www.angelfire.com/home/Sylencer
Ring pieces
« on: Feb 07, 05, 10:51:09 pm CST »

All right. Just to let you all know, I, the Ninja, have somehow attracted someone's interests while staying on the down-low, and even more surprising, the relationship has blossomed out of view of the public. And so far we've been engaged for about a month and a half now, but the ring I wanted for her is...a little difficult. As of now I'm using a temporary ring, but I wish this remedied. And to do so I need some materials. I need to get my hands on about a cubic centimeter of 14k gold (or equivalent volume) and some gemstones (2 each of ruby, sapphire, and emerald, of the same size, and a diamond slightly larger, but same cut), but have nowhere to look. People don't generally sell just the gold or stones. So I ask here, where if a man wants something, he does it his damn self. And I know many of those going here has...contacts...in various, not-quite-mainline markets. But another catch: the only access I have to the outside world for months at a time is through e-mail. No, I'm not that big of a loser, I'm just out to sea for a while. Hazards of the job, and all. But anyway, I ask of anyone who wishes to help in the acquisition of said pieces to e-mail me at [email protected] And the particular job I have isn't the most exciting, so feel free to e-mail me regardless, as well, and I'll return the favor. Now I must depart. Duty calls, and shift ends in about 2.5 hours.

Oh, if anyone also wants to throw in some tips on the forging of rings, I'm all ears. So far I was planning on winging it, which usually works for me on just about all things, but input is always welcome.
Nicholas, the Ninja from Nottingham

Under Cover(s) Rogue #1178

[size=9] There were ninjas in the rennaisance. You just couldn't see them.[/size]

ambar

• Prominent Member (600 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 4
Ring pieces
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 05, 09:34:43 am CST »

Rio Grande is an excellent source with a good reputation.  They sell the gemstones and the raw (nugget) gold in various purities and colors.
Wench # 2495
Sister 2 of the Sick Sisters of the SSPF Union - Chaser of Tails and Purrrrrrveyor of the 'Nip - "Kitty Crack? Er, is no' mine... but THAT is."
Madame Govenor of Depravity
Proud member of the Pack of Rabid Dogs

StealthStealthStealthStealthStealthStealthStealth StealthStealthStealthStealth*Whap*

ambar

Ring pieces
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 05, 09:36:59 am CST »

Quote from: "ambar"
Rio Grande is an excellent source with a good reputation.  They sell the gemstones and the raw (nugget) gold in various purities and colors.

And on the forging....if you do the wax yourself, you can send it to a castor to have it made.  Then setting the stones would require buying or making the mountings and then sodering (can't figure out how to spell that one, sorry) them to the ring and then setting the stones.
Wench # 2495
Sister 2 of the Sick Sisters of the SSPF Union - Chaser of Tails and Purrrrrrveyor of the 'Nip - "Kitty Crack? Er, is no' mine... but THAT is."

StealthStealthStealthStealthStealthStealthStealth StealthStealthStealthStealth*Whap*

Simrit

• Notorious Member (200 Posts)
Ring pieces
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 05, 12:36:05 pm CST »

*Casting is not the same as forging.

*soldering

*The settings can be made as part of the mold so they don't have to be added after the ring is cast
~Simon the Bard
IBRSC# 1286
Kisstorian
Striker, HMS Motleigh
"Don't roll over unless you mean it."
"Don't mind me, I'm a professional!"

ambar

Ring pieces
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 05, 01:34:54 pm CST »

Simrit.....a few points to address....

1.  If you make the mounting for the stone as part of the ring you have to know EXACTLY what you are doing to ensure the stone is seated properly and that it is fully supported.  He said he hadn't done this before.  That's why I didn't mention it.  However, mountings are available for purchase that have alread been created to properly set a stone.

2.  Jewelry is not hammered at a forge.  I have never known any jeweler or jewelery deisgner to stand at a forge/furnice and hammer bars of gold into a design.  I made the "mental leap" that he meant casting a design and rather than making a huge issue out of it, I substitued the word forging for casting.  However, if you have experience hammering out a bar of gold into a design, please feel free to share.

3.  If you have better suppliers or better methods, again, please share.
Wench # 2495

Simrit

Ring pieces
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 05, 11:51:37 pm CST »

1. You are right; however, I said that you didn't have to solder the head afterwards, adding to the suggestion you provided.

2. I am aware that casting is not forging and was supplementing the information for anyone who may have been unclear about the fact. And yes, I have beaten bars of precious metal into designs. Such was a training method....

3. I do have better suppliers and methods than most people and e-mailed Sylencer_Sy when I read his post, as was his request.
~Simon the Bard
IBRSC# 1286
Kisstorian
Striker, HMS Motleigh
"Don't roll over unless you mean it."
"Don't mind me, I'm a professional!"

Sylencer_Sy

• Libidinous Member (40 Posts)
    • http://www.angelfire.com/home/Sylencer
Ring pieces
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 05, 08:25:09 am CST »

Forgiveness, please. My e-mail account was down for maintenance for about a week, and everything from the 4th to the 12th of Feb was lost. I'd only received one e-mail to my knowledge from this post, but it alas was lost, so if you've sent something, could you please send it again? Again, I apologize. The Navy isn't the best at logic or customer support when computers are involved. Thank you again.
Nicholas, the Ninja from Nottingham

Under Cover(s) Rogue #1178

[size=9] There were ninjas in the rennaisance. You just couldn't see them.[/size]

allenlorick

Ring pieces
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 05, 03:50:11 pm CST »

On its way...again.
Allen Lorick
Rogue #675
Harbinger of Chaos
Propigator of Confusion

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy.  If you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.  -Socrates

The best form of government is democracy tempered with assasination.  -Voltaire
Pages: [1]   Go Up