Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I love science...  (Read 3056 times)

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
  • Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 51
  • The Forgotten Musketeer!!!
    • http://www.madamebonancieux.com/musket.html
I love science...
« on: Feb 23, 05, 09:43:44 pm CST »

Synthetic marijuana!!!!!
Ohmygodcanyouimaginethepossibilities?!?!?!?!?!
 ::color::  ::crunch::  ::infin::  ::rofl2::  ::cwm8::  ::shokbigtime::  :p  ::bike::  ::thumbs::  :O  ::USA::

Synthetic Marijuana  Ingredient Could Slow Alzheimer's

Wed Feb 23, 5:02 PM ET   Health - HealthDay

By Janice Billingsley
HealthDay Reporter

WEDNESDAY, Feb. 23 (HealthDay News) -- By suppressing inflammation in the brain, a synthetic marijuana compound could potentially offer some protection against Alzheimer's disease (news - web sites), Spanish scientists report.

The researchers, who studied the brain tissue of deceased Alzheimer's patients, discovered that many of these patients lose the function of important cannabinoid brain receptors, which seem to guard against cognitive decline.

They further discovered in a rat study involving synthetic marijuana that when these brain receptors were working, they reduced the brain inflammation that is associated with Alzheimer's.

"This is the first time the effects of such damage have been found in Alzheimer's patients," said study co-author Maria de Ceballos, head of the neurodegeneration group at the Cajal Institute, Spain's largest neuroscience research center, in Madrid. "Previously, it has been known only in those with acute brain damage from trauma."

The findings appear in the Feb. 23 issue of The Journal of Neuroscience.

The researchers studied cannabinoid receptors called CB1 and CB2, which are proteins that bind with cannabinoids, the active ingredients of marijuana. The synergy between these receptors and cannabinoids are known to provide protective effects against inflammation in the brain.

In the first part of their study, they compared the brain tissue of deceased Alzheimer's patients to similar tissue from healthy people who had died at the same age. Those who suffered from Alzheimer's had significantly reduced functioning of their cannabinoid receptors compared to the healthy group, which meant those with the disease had lost the capacity to experience the protective effects of cannabinoids.

Then, in a series of rat experiments, the scientists found cannabinoids reduced inflammation in the brain and prevented cognitive decline.

To find this, the researchers injected amyloid, a protein that activates immune cells and leads to cognitive decline, into the brains of one group of rats. Another group of rats received injections of a control protein. A third group of rats were injected with cannabinoids along with amyloid, and a last group received cannabinoids with the control protein.

After two months, the researchers trained the rats over five days to find a platform hidden underwater. Rats treated with the control protein -- with or without the cannabinoids -- and those treated with the amyloid protein and the cannabinoids were able to find the platform. The rats treated with the amyloid protein alone did not learn how to find the platform.

The scientists further confirmed that the amyloid protein activated the rats' brains' immune cells, causing inflammation, but that the cannabinoids counteracted this effect and reduced the inflammation.

de Ceballos said the findings suggest that those who are known to be at risk for Alzheimer's could benefit from using cannabinoids to slow the progression of the disease.

But she added that much work remains to be done before this can be put to clinical use.

Alzheimer's experts also warned this is very preliminary work because it only studied tissue in animals to find the beneficial effects of the cannabinoids, and, as such, is far from an endorsement of marijuana use in preventing Alzheimer's.

"The paper doesn't reflect any thought that people should use marijuana as any kind of therapeutic agent for Alzheimer's. It would be irresponsible to suggest that," said William Thies, vice president of medical and scientific affairs for the Alzheimer's Association.

By looking at a new possible agent that could be useful in moderating the pathology of Alzheimer's, he said, the study joins others examining the possible ways that the disease advances, including the effects of cholesterol, inflammation and the presence of amyloid proteins.

"Certainly every one of these papers that gives us new possibilities to explore is welcome," he said. :wink:
"Only a man who drinks could talk like that!"
"We escape the unendurable however we can."
- Vincent Price 'The Comedy of Terrors'

allenlorick

• Notorious Member (200 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
I love science...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 05, 11:26:22 am CST »

Not to mention that last night's news detailed a new study giving extacy to terminal cancer patients.
Now I just gotta get one of these fun diseases.  :lol:
Allen Lorick
Rogue #675
Harbinger of Chaos
Propigator of Confusion

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy.  If you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.  -Socrates

The best form of government is democracy tempered with assasination.  -Voltaire

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Inebriation Level: 44
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
I love science...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 05, 12:19:35 pm CST »

Quote from: "allenlorick"
Not to mention that last night's news detailed a new study giving extacy to terminal cancer patients.
Now I just gotta get one of these fun diseases.  :lol:

I do realize that your attempt at humor is equivalent to your IQ....
But that was plain good old fashion Asshatery right there.
"Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici" ("By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe"

"Religion is about faith, not evidence. Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges—it's more like apples and sewing machines." ~ Jack Horner

William the Traveler

• Shady Member (100 Posts)
I love science...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 05, 02:39:33 pm CST »

I agree with you Gardo. There is nothing funny about Alzheimer's.
William The Traveler
William of the Clan Irwin
Slave Trader and Magician
International Brotherhood of Rogues Scoundrels and Cads Number 1075
Quartermaster HMS Motleigh International Fellowship of Royal Privateers Number 632

Alianne

• Overt Member (400 Posts)
I love science...
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 05, 09:25:41 pm CST »

...or cancer.

Methinks Allen gets the Asshat of the Month award.
Alianne
IWG #860
Juliette MacCoy, Cruise Director, HMS Wayward Pilgrim
Chiffon Sanglant, PMS Scallyrag
REAP #11
____
In memory of David, 11/10/61 - 5/21/03
"He will not be coming back. He will have...gone on." - NHN
~his name means 'beloved'~

foxglove!!

• Nefarious Member (10 Posts)
I love science...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 05, 10:23:00 pm CST »

agreed.   that was an as(s)inine thing to say.

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
I love science...
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 05, 10:57:44 pm CST »

Um...wow. Personally...I noted a sense of sarcasm in Allenlorick's post but apparentley the witch hunt is already on!!!

Geez...ya REALLY think he's making fun of cancer? Or alzheimers? Get real people. ::d4::

We have these things here called "emoticons" or for the rest of us..."smiley faces." These are to be included at the end of a sentence or phase to denote a less-than-serious tone.

Here endeth the lesson. :roll: (See? Smiley face. Notice the SPECIFIC gesture on this one. It should be taken in the correct context.)

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Inebriation Level: 44
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
I love science...
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 05, 08:23:39 am CST »

Quote from: "Pathos"
Um...wow. Personally...I noted a sense of sarcasm in Allenlorick's post but apparentley the witch hunt is already on!!!

Geez...ya REALLY think he's making fun of cancer? Or alzheimers? Get real people. ::d4::

We have these things here called "emoticons" or for the rest of us..."smiley faces." These are to be included at the end of a sentence or phase to denote a less-than-serious tone.

Here endeth the lesson. :roll: (See? Smiley face. Notice the SPECIFIC gesture on this one. It should be taken in the correct context.)

Ok Capt. Craptastic, did you miss the fact that we acknowledged the fact that he was trying to be funny and sarcastic and still found it lacking. Get the dick out of your mouth before your start spewing that buffoonery about.
Dude lately you've been 2 points shy of throwing faecal matter from your cage. (Notice the lack of emoticons)
"Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici" ("By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe"

"Religion is about faith, not evidence. Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges—it's more like apples and sewing machines." ~ Jack Horner

Dread Pirate Bob

I love science...
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 05, 08:24:05 am CST »

Geez...ya REALLY think he's making fun of cancer? Or alzheimers? Get real people

Nope... but that is not Gardo's point, if you read his post
I do realize that your attempt at humor...
But the simle fact is the too many people on these boards have been very perosnally affected by it.  Making this a joke in bad taste.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." Henny Youngman

"Any fool can tell the truth, but it requires a man of some sense to know how to lie well." Samuel Butler

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
I love science...
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 05, 08:40:00 am CST »

Ok OK. It's just funny to me how often we go around this circle on this board. Every few weeks someone gets offended by something someone says and the flaming begins then eventually we all get lectured by one of the old-timers about how this is the Rogues board and we're all big boys here and we can say whatever we want and people just need to have some balls and deal with it. Then sure enough...a few weeks later someone gets offended again and...the wheel of life keeps turning.

I've taken nothing but abuse everyday for weeks now and when I actually have the NERVE to...gasp...RESPOND...now I'M the one who's accused of spewing. :roll:

I know there's no reasoning to be had here...it's just funny is all.  8)

Dread Pirate Bob

I love science...
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 05, 08:46:44 am CST »

I don't think that ANYONE said not to post.  YOU can  post what ever the HELL you want.  And it really doesn't matter what ANYONE else thinks.  HOWEVER, anything and EVERYTHING you post is open to comment... post something that may annoy or iritate someone and you get a response.   :eek: IMMAGINE THAT :roll:
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." Henny Youngman

"Any fool can tell the truth, but it requires a man of some sense to know how to lie well." Samuel Butler

allenlorick

I love science...
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 05, 09:55:56 am CST »

Ok, so maybe I'm an asshat, maybe not.
Maybe my "joke" about being given drugs, legally, was out of line.
Personally I don't think so, but you are welcome to your own opinion.

But Alzheimier's is definately funny.  I qualify this by saying that I spent 4 years working in Alzheimier facilities, taking care of these people.  My own grandmother also suffered from this disease for a number of years before she was finally called home.  Alzheimier's is a terrible horrible ugly disease, the worst in my opinion.  It steals not the body, but the mind, people afflicted in many cases no longer even have a sense of self.  What could possibly be worse than that.

Now as typical in American society, there are things that you have to either laugh about or you end up crying.  I believe that Alzheimier's is one of these, and I chose to laugh.
And there is something funny about a man wearing someone else's shirt and no pants breaking a window, grabbing his girlfriend from across the hall, who has no clothes on, and running for all he's worth up the street.  This occured at one of the facilities I was working at.
Ya gotta either laugh or cry, I choose to laugh.
Allen Lorick
Rogue #675
Harbinger of Chaos
Propigator of Confusion

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy.  If you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.  -Socrates

allenlorick

I love science...
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 05, 10:13:19 am CST »

Now, as to the topic of Cancer.  Again, I have seen it first hand.  Both in working in Hospice and in the case of my grandfather, a firefighter, who was diagnosed with lung cancer from inhaling the smoke while performing his duties.
If you talk to the families, or get to know the patients themselves, you'll know that if you can get them to smile or laugh, you can make the pain stop.  Even if it's just for a second, then it's worth it.
Now, if you believe that I was being unsensative for a moment, FUCK OFF.
The Cancer patients I have delt with would have found that joke funny.  And believe me if they can, you can.
Allen Lorick
Rogue #675
Harbinger of Chaos
Propigator of Confusion

Hallertauer

• Ikariam Group
  • Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 19
I love science...
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 05, 10:15:06 am CST »

A lot of health care workers use humor to deal with their every day trauma. To the outside world it would be seen as crass and inappropriate.
I think that type of humor should be kept on the "inside" You never know who you could hurt or piss off. I lost one grandmother to cancer and the other to Alzheimer's.

Skald

• Scandalous Member (50 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 1
    • http://www.renfair.com/NY
I love science...
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 05, 10:55:54 am CST »

Speaking strictly from my own religious beliefs, I've got to agree with him.  Life is what you make of it: you can choose to laugh or cry or neither.  Even flesh eating bacteria can be made humorous (although I can't think of anything humorous about it right now but give me time).

For my own part, I find disease repulsive and not subject to humor.  What I do find funny are some of the situations brought about by a patient of said disease.  I make that distinction and while it's a fine line and perhaps too close for some, it is what it is.

Also keep in mind that many become hypocrites when it comes to this kind of thing.  Some are more than willing to point a finger and laugh when it happens to someone remote (a celebrity, etc.) but when it happens to a friend or family member, the topic suddenly turns serious.

Here's my deal with you all.  If I ever find myself wasting away due to whatever (I did smoke for 17 years and still have the occasional cigar and while I've had a green light from the doc's office, you never know), feel free to make light of anything I do because the gods know I would if I can, just as I have in the past when something ailed me.  And when I die, I want a party that celebrated my life and my accomplishments.  None of this mourning shit.

Here are three for the books:
My uncle died a painful death with a shriveled liver due to his excessive alcoholism.  That's not the funny part.  What is funny is when he and my aunt stayed at my house and what we did to him when he was getting lit off of some crap Lite beer.  Once lit, we kept serving him the same beer bottle but with cold water in it.  She and I had a good chuckle over that one.  He never caught on.

My grandmother was always sharp.  In her 60s, 70s and early 80s, she traveled around the world alone.  She was always a spitfire and a devout [insert her religion of the month here].  As of late, talking with her has become an adventure.  Her memory is going, she panics easily and is growing increasingly deaf.  That's sad to see this erstwhile sharp-as-a-tack woman who helped shape my life in my formative years go down the crapper.  But do we (meaning my family including her son, my father) make fun of her?  Yes.  We do.  Because we were taught that's how you live life.  With love and laughter.  I'll miss her when she goes but I'll be damned if I shed one tear for her death.  Instead, I'll be happy that she's got her sanity back and will celebrate every single thing she did for us, some of which are immeasurably priceless.  Until then, she's downright funny when she asks the same question five times in a row and then wryly asks if she "did it again".

On a lighter note, a patient who had been diagnosed with disassociative schizophrenia that I was transporting (was an EMT at that point) kept going on about some field with blue houses on it.  Sad she had this condition, yes.  Funny as Hel when she started talking to the flying cows.
In Ferro Veritas
Thespian's Guild, Rogue #796, Privateer
Deyr fé / deyja frćndr / deyr sjálfr et sama / ek veit einn / at aldri deyr: dómr of dauđan hvern. -- Havamal
Thespian's Guild, Rogue #796, Privateer #123

allenlorick

I love science...
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 05, 12:04:05 pm CST »

Let's face it, if 'we' were that concerned about sensatity, we'd be the wench board.  If everyone here was worried about not affending anyone, 'this' board would not exist at all.

Been said before, grow a skin.
Allen Lorick
Rogue #675
Harbinger of Chaos
Propigator of Confusion

Savoir Faire

• Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 47
I love science...
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 05, 05:35:01 pm CST »

My grandmother suffered and died as a result of Alzheimer's. Its a suck ass disease and nothing funny about it.. nor cancer. Nothing to laugh at whilst someone wastes away before your eyes.
Sorry I choose not to laugh.

You may joke and kid to dull the pain but you dont laugh at the disease.
And there is a difference between laughing at and laughing with the sufferer.

*steps off soapbox*
Savoir Faire Is EveryWhere

Alianne

• Overt Member (400 Posts)
I love science...
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 05, 05:54:30 pm CST »

Quote from: "allenlorick"

Ya gotta either laugh or cry, I choose to laugh.

Here's my take:

I have found myself dealing with David's death by using morbid humor.  That's *me* using it about *my own situation*.

That doesn't mean I find his death funny.  Nor would I use morbid humor about *someone else's* situation, whether it's illness or death.

It's how *I* sometimes deal with it.  

That doesn't mean it's right for me to inject my way of dealing on someone else.
Alianne
IWG #860
Juliette MacCoy, Cruise Director, HMS Wayward Pilgrim
Chiffon Sanglant, PMS Scallyrag
REAP #11
____
In memory of David, 11/10/61 - 5/21/03
"He will not be coming back. He will have...gone on." - NHN
~his name means 'beloved'~
Pages: [1]   Go Up