Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just heard...  (Read 4627 times)

The Doxie With Moxie

• Nefarious Member (10 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
Just heard...
« Reply #20 on: Oct 02, 05, 04:46:10 pm CDT »

Without it elections will be decided by the populations of a handful of major cities and the rest of the country won't count. While that may be a majority it doesn't necessarily speak for the whole nation itself.

I guess I dislike it and think it should, if able, be amended or eliminated because it fails to represent the Nation.  It has the potential of making a persons vote be less then a third of the value of another persons vote.  Example:1988.  In the 7 least populated jurisdictions of Alaska, Delaware, the District of Columbia, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming there were 3,119,000 people of voting age and the aforementioned areas had 21 electoral votes.  In Florida there were 9,614,000 people of voting age and electoral votes of 21.  Each Floridian vote was worth 1/3 of the other votes cast.   I understand that historically the Electoral College was not intended to reflect National will... but I wish it did.

The Doxie
No matter where you go, there you are.

Have a mental Margarita!

Eat me!  I'm a cupcake.

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
  • Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 51
  • The Forgotten Musketeer!!!
    • http://www.madamebonancieux.com/musket.html
Just heard...
« Reply #21 on: Oct 02, 05, 06:29:44 pm CDT »

Yeah but those same 21 votes are divided up between 7 different regions.

Not sure I understand your math there. How can that mean the FLA votes only count as a third?
"Only a man who drinks could talk like that!"
"We escape the unendurable however we can."
- Vincent Price 'The Comedy of Terrors'

The Doxie With Moxie

• Nefarious Member (10 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
Just heard...
« Reply #22 on: Oct 02, 05, 08:01:13 pm CDT »

(The following is being gently offfered as personal opinion and is in no way an attempt to piss anyone off.  I'm just tired of using emoticons to reflect how I feel about whatever I am posting.)

I thought this thread had kind of mutated into a discussion about whether or not a vote is worth casting.  The only thing that I was saying is if you look at an election simply through the votes cast through indidviduals and then at what that gets you in electoral votes then the people in Florida had 3 times the amount of people but the same amount of electoral votes in the afore given example.  The founding fathers ensured the strength and rights of states rather then the individuals vote which is of course the correct thing to do as we are a Federal system of government (I know there were other reasons behind the electoral college... like the lack of reliable information about candidates traveling to all parts of a young and wild nation etc., etc.).  That being said I don't think there would be cats and dogs living together (and I'm not saying you said there would be) if the president was elected through a simple vote.  I have lived in 3 different states during the Presidential elections I've voted in so every time I voted it had a different value.  I would like to have every vote have the same value.  I can see how people would become  cynical in our present sytem and not bother to vote at all.

The Doxie
No matter where you go, there you are.

Have a mental Margarita!

Eat me!  I'm a cupcake.

Perin

• Notorious Member (200 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 13
    • http://perin.atthefaire.com
Just heard...
« Reply #23 on: Oct 03, 05, 10:58:45 am CDT »

Quote from: "The Doxie With Moxie"
I don't think any one vote, for president, will matter until an amendment is made to the Constitution eliminating the electoral college and changing to a nation wide popular vote.

Agree.  I live in Massachusetts.  There was absolutely no chance that the state would vote for Bush in either of the last 2 elections.  Just like there was no chance that Texas would have voted for Gore/Kerry.  So explain to me how my vote for anyone besides Bush/Gore/Kerry was wasted?  It would have been just as wated voting for Bush as Nader.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up