Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Season passes  (Read 3094 times)

Jared_Thorne

• Scandalous Member (50 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 1
  • Home Faire: Ohio Renaissance Festival
Season passes
« on: Jun 09, 06, 05:29:39 pm CDT »

As the man once said, about damn time! The Ohio Renaissance Festival is finally offering season passes. I guess that rennies telling them that they need to offer season passes finally sunk in. According to the promo I received in the mail the other day, they are $65 each and are only available through advanced purchase. For more information, go to www.renfestival.com/tickets

Anon for now,

Jared Thorne
Rogue #261
Jared Thorne
Rogue #261
69.1% Faire Folk Corrupt
Home faire: OhRF
LVH #76

"Its an immoral imperative"

Kyas Dreffen

• Ignominious Member (20 Posts)
    • Tales from Rogue Squad
Re: Season passes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 06, 06:21:23 pm CDT »

The season passes are great and are long overdue, but what's the point in going when management doesn't invite many of the good talented acts back because they're not 'family-friendly". If it weren't for friends coming in from out-of-state to see the Faire has declined, we'd rather save the money and go to PA, WI or MI for a second weekend.

Kyas
-True silliness comes from the heart; if you try to fake it, you just look stupid.
-It's not the 'quiet ones' you need to watch out for. It's the screaming, drooling, frantic, spoon-to-cut-your-heart-out-with, weirdos that require your utmost attention.

Jared_Thorne

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 06, 03:02:46 pm CDT »

Yeah, I know that the owner wouldn't know a good thing if it bit him on the butt, but hopefully we can "inform" him that there are good acts around that aren't necessarily "family-friendly". As far as acts not coming back, I know of two for this year who aren't returning. Minstrel Woode won't be back this year because they played at KYRF this year and that offended the owner. Hey Nunnie Nunnie won't be back this year, but I don't know off-hand why they won't be back. As far as attending other faires like WI, PA, or MI, I used to attend MI quite religiously, but I haven't been back since 2003 due to a change in my work schedule (I work dayshift now). As to the other two faires, they are too far away to attend on any regular basis.
Jared Thorne
Rogue #261
69.1% Faire Folk Corrupt
LVH #76

Kyas Dreffen

• Tales from Rogue Squad
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 06, 10:19:38 pm CDT »

So let me get this straight....
Tartan Terrors have been out for years, Minstral Woode had a great gig in Kentucky (saw them the final week) but aren't returning, and even the nuns are out! Jesus H. FN. Christ on a pogo-stick! Who ousts nuns from a lineup?!? Although on a religious level I don't agree with them, they were still entertaining. Best of luck to Bob Ford, MOM (Ahem) and Christophe, A.K.A. The last bastions of good talent at the ORF. Dirk & Guido are great, but I can catch the same act anywhere. Kudos to all Wenches elsewhere and the frivolity they bring (Particular praise to the Bristol Wenches). Let The Inquisition and Pope have the ORF as it seems to be headed in the direction to sanitize the festival.
As RenFolk go, I, my bride, and all interested friends are still willing to set aside an extra weekend or two in order to find (and pay for) good entertainment. Although we're 15 minutes away, convenience for a Ren fixe is no longer an issue.   
Kyas
-True silliness comes from the heart; if you try to fake it, you just look stupid.
-It's not the 'quiet ones' you need to watch out for. It's the screaming, drooling, frantic, spoon-to-cut-your-heart-out-with, weirdos that require your utmost attention.

Jared_Thorne

« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 06, 07:53:06 pm CDT »

Dude, I realize that the faire isn't what it used to be, and that the quality of the entertainment has gone downhill. But I am not willing to just sit back and watch the faire management flush the faire down the proverbial drain. If it wasn't for rennies and other patrons telling the faire owner what they wanted to see, we wouldn't have the season passes (I can't think of any other faire in the Ohio valley or the Midwest that doesn't have a season pass). So, IMHO, if you want to go somewhere else then do so ... after all, it is your money. I, on the other hand, will continue to patronize this faire. Frankly, I don't have the time or money to travel to the other area faires (ie. MiRF, PARF) due to my work and other family considerations.
Jared Thorne
Rogue #261
69.1% Faire Folk Corrupt
LVH #76

Kyas Dreffen

• Tales from Rogue Squad
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 06, 11:12:04 pm CDT »

As it comes right down to it, the season passes aren't technically the point. Sure these tickets may bring/keep some people to returning this year, but what's the purpose in buying the tickets if there's no/little reason in going to be entertained in the first place. I have a hard time giving money to someone just on the off chance that quality entertainment MAY be available next year. Going just for the sake of going doesn't cut it for me, my friends or my family. Fine, so I, personally, would and could skip a year of the ORF since things are tough all over, but actually there are other options than just settling for the mediochre. It's actually only a day-trip to the IN, KY, MI, PA, and WI faires and the only real investments are tickets, gas and maybe one night in a hotel if you really drag it out.
Writing letters and directing expendible cash elsewhere are two different ways of sending the same message to ORF management. And I think we also agree that things can and should be improved regarding ORF as many silent others. As far as I'm concerned, this venue is a circus where available consumers' dollars, need for "wholesome" entertainment and corporate sponsorships vie for all 3-rings. I'll spend little time and money here knowing there are other viable options.
It's apparent that while we both hope things improve between the ORF powers-that-be and the patrons, hopefully the management understands that other Faires have overcome these same hurdles and kept the peace between owners, shopkeepers, entertainers and the general public.

Kyas
Pages: [1]   Go Up