Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faire...then and now.  (Read 4951 times)

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • Illustrious Member (5000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 87
  • The Stealth Rogue
Faire...then and now.
« on: Dec 04, 07, 12:26:38 pm CST »

OK, so...just to have some activity on the board:

1) How long have you been doing Faire?
2) What drew you to it originally?
3) What keeps you coming back?
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
I'm here to keep the place from being boring.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

Maggie

• I'm the nice one Damn It!!
  • Ikariam Group
  • Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 68
  • Home Faire: Michigan Renaissance Festival
  • Not perfect, but still pretty damn good
Re: Faire...then and now.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 07, 12:34:22 pm CST »

1.)  I first walked into the Michigan Renaissance Festival in 1992.

2.)  A friend who worked for a local paper had a press pass and it was something different to do.

3).  I walked through the gates and I knew I was home.  Personally, I like to play dress up and make believe.  I like the challange of creating new garb every season and then having a place to show it off.  Some of my very good friends are on the cast, so I get the opportunity to do gigs and bits with them - I like the interaction with the patrons.  Especially the kids who are so ready to believe.  I like hearing the music live.  I like taking my daughter and watch her play.  And last but not the very least, I like to go and play with my friends.  It gives me a chance to talk and visit, flirt and gab all outside in the pretty sun shine.
Maggie Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
SSPF #10
"Fuck". To you it's profanity, to me it's a physical exercise

Phoenix McHeit

• Amazon Princess
  • Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 56
  • Glamazon
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 07, 12:55:49 pm CST »

1)   My first Faire was in 1986.  PARF.

2)  My sister was visiting from CA, and saw it advertised in the newspaper.  She's always been a late-hippie/gypsy type person, and thought it'd be fun to go.

3)  Friends, safe-flirting, dressing up, all the literature that's Right There In Front Of Your Eyes, handmade crafts & one-of-a-kind things, friends, love & support, and ROGUES!
Wench # 2889, IFRP# 1194, Carpenter's Apprentice (Measurer of Wood) on The Wenches Pride
Could you all please step on the Same Foot at the Same TIME ?!!
What's the use of having a rapier wit if I can't use it to stab people?
Visualize Whirled Peas
http://wenchyopinions.blogspot.com/

Hallertauer

• Ikariam Group
  • Inebriation Level: 19
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 07, 10:11:08 am CST »

1) Started some time around the mid 80's
2) Used to play D&D a lot and we heard about it through the news paper and went once that 1st year.
3) Took my wife there on our first "official" date and we go back each year to celebrate the rest is history

Macko

• Dread pira...errr privateer
  • Celebrious Member (800 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 13
  • First Mate / S.O. of the "Diamond's Rule"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 07, 06:47:40 pm CST »

1: Started with NYRF, waaaayyy back in 1976.
2: Was dating my future wife at the time and saw the ad and thought it would be something neat to do, other than hang out with bands, which I did for a living anyway.
3: Hmmmm, good question. The ale....errrrr, no seriously, there was just something about faire that appealed to both of us. At first we didn't go every year because I was always on the road. August/September is prime tour time, or was back then in the music biz. We went everyother year for a few years. Even then, we ended up making friends with some of the denizens of the faire, other rennies and boothies.

When I finally got off the touring gig and my daughter was born, we started coming every year. My daughter loved it as much as we did and eventually became a faire slave for a few seasons. We found out about other faires and started traveling around. We discovered FoF in Bristol, pushed REC to bring it to NYRF and got involved there. Now it's the street theater we do and hanging with our friends that keeps us coming back. My niece bellydances out in Arizona, her boy friend is the "Franchise" Ded Bob and I will continue to go to faires till the day I am physically unable too. I've even thought about when I pass on, having myself cremated and having my ashes scattered about the different faires I have come to love.

Oh, an important thing here, the guilds keep me coming back too. I have made some good friends in the Rogues/Privateers/Wenches guilds and the ale helps too. heheheh.
Theres sober men in plenty
and drunkards barely twenty.
That a man of over ninety, that have never yet kissed a girl.
But give me a ramblin' rover
Frae Orkney and to Dover
We will roam the country over and together we'll face the world.

Maximiliano

See my gallery at Zazzle

Fritz

• Opprobrious Member (30 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 07, 08:12:25 pm CST »

1) Not nearly long...I think my first time would have been in 2002 or so.  No significant involvement until 2004, when I got a job at Bristol
2) I am one of the artistic, slightly weird kids.  Faire spoke to that. 
3) The people, and the toys, and a chance to play a bit.
I work for the government, who pay me to smile nice and speak softly.

IBRSC #1346

36.2% FaireFolk pure (63.8% FaireFolk corrupt)

"The world continues to offer glittering prizes to those who have stout hearts and sharp swords." ~Lord Birkenhead, 1923

The Black Knight

• Scunken Drotsman
  • Shady Member (100 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 3
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 07, 03:59:26 pm CST »

Since 1996, the PA Ren Faire only, My wife and I would love to attend some other Faires in the future, but reality keeps getting in the damn way
    I've always been interested in King Auther and other medieval legends. Add to that a healthy dose on AD&D back in the day, it was a no-brainer to check out.
    The sounds, smells, the people, getting away from the mundane world, I feel at home there, and most importantly, the ALE...A nice maduro and my leather mug full and I'm one happy Scotsman :D

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 07, 04:01:46 pm CST by The Black Knight »
a.k.a - Braden MacFarlane
PA Ren Faire vet

God invented whiskey so Scotland wouldn't conquer the world.
Five out of four people do not understand fractions.
I listen to more metal than my kids.

Cyranno DeBoberac

• Inebriation Level: 2
  • Bear Suit Bob!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 07, 07:50:10 pm CST »

1) Since 1995, I think.
2) Swords
3) Boobs

I often say that Faire has my 3 favorite things: shopping and boobs.
Cyranno DeBoberac
IBRSC #444, ODK #008, Sexy Beast #1
Founder, Drama Free Happy Naked Fun Club: "No Drama.  No Clothes.  No Kidding."
----------
"O che sciagura d'essere senza coglioni!"                                                        --Voltaire
----------
The downside of being better than everyone else
is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Kyas Dreffen

• Ignominious Member (20 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 1
    • Tales from Rogue Squad
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 07, 07:39:15 pm CST »

a) OHRF since '99
b) Bristol since '03 (overlooking the 25-year span between now and that first "bite")
My bride and I liked the idea of playing in the realm and realized it would make for a good daytrip; we've been going ever since.
the friends we meet and make, the music, the wenches and the ale; not necessarily in that order.
-True silliness comes from the heart; if you try to fake it, you just look stupid.
-It's not the 'quiet ones' you need to watch out for. It's the screaming, drooling, frantic, spoon-to-cut-your-heart-out-with, weirdos that require your utmost attention.

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Inebriation Level: 44
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 07, 09:59:41 am CST »

1) More years than I want to remember, I started in 1990 at NYRF
2) a fine young female I knew worked in a booth and needed a cute boy, well they couldn't find one and gave me the job put me in tights and it was down hill from there. Not to mention the family that I have and friendships that have lasted for almost 20 yrs
3) I hate to admit it but there is no other place that makes me feel so grounded and High at the same time Not to mention I love hearing the fabricated stories told about me to me from people whom I've never met before oh and

BOOBS
"Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici" ("By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe"

"Religion is about faith, not evidence. Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges—it's more like apples and sewing machines." ~ Jack Horner

Macko

« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 07, 06:10:43 pm CST »

Wait, you can not tell me that I have been going to faire longer than most of you. I don't believe that for a moment.

Who here, besides me went to NYRF the very first year? I know there has to be at least 2 of you.

Damn, I'm starting to feel reeeaaalllly old now. :D
Frae Orkney and to Dover

Maximiliano

See my gallery at Zazzle

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 07, 09:09:26 am CST »

So it was you that was keeping Mordred company while they built the Faire around him, hunh?
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

Phoenix McHeit

• Amazon Princess
  • Inebriation Level: 56
  • Glamazon
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 07, 12:23:07 pm CST »

1: Started with NYRF, waaaayyy back in 1976.

Dude... I was 4 in 1976.  And my folks *still* don't get my Faire fixation.  They'd never have taken me, even at that age.
Wench # 2889, IFRP# 1194, Carpenter's Apprentice (Measurer of Wood) on The Wenches Pride
Could you all please step on the Same Foot at the Same TIME ?!!
What's the use of having a rapier wit if I can't use it to stab people?
Visualize Whirled Peas
http://wenchyopinions.blogspot.com/

Maggie

• I'm the nice one Damn It!!
  • Ikariam Group
  • Inebriation Level: 68
  • Home Faire: Michigan Renaissance Festival
  • Not perfect, but still pretty damn good
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 07, 03:28:23 pm CST »

Dude... I was 4 in 1976.  And my folks *still* don't get my Faire fixation.  They'd never have taken me, even at that age.

I was 10 and I had never even heard of a ren faire.

I consider myself now making up for lost time.  :D
Maggie Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
SSPF #10
"Fuck". To you it's profanity, to me it's a physical exercise

Macko

« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 07, 06:17:34 pm CST »

Just call me Methusala. Blah, 4? 10? Ugh, I don't even remember those ages. heheheh. :D
I was, uhm*cough20cough* in 76. :P
The one thing I really remember about 76 though was, "Op Sail". The biggest drug lift this country ever saw... All those "Tall Ships" in NY Harbor and not one had to go through customs because they were considered Ambasadors from where ever they came from.

Mordred, now there is a man I have known by sight for sooo many years, but didn't really start to get to know him untill a few years ago. The "Rennie" in me really didn't start to assert itself untill the mid to late 80s.
Frae Orkney and to Dover

Maximiliano

See my gallery at Zazzle

Wulf

• Scandalous Member (50 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: -3
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 07, 02:50:10 am CST »

Well, I guess it was something like four years ago, I always loved the middle ages from childhood, I played in the woods constantly acting out those fantasies children have. Robin Hood, Errol Flynn in Against All Flags, there was another movie called At Swords Point, about the Musketeers, my parents showed me those movies. I was always raised with that old world, chivalric nature, at the age of 5 I could be found kissing older ladies hands.  ;D I love adventure, and I always have looked for it everywhere, the faire is a constant source of satisfaction. Another movie that made a deep impression was Conan. 13th Warrior was the same way. The faire lets you live all of that out.

But like I said, it was four years ago when I first went to a faire, and it was Hoggetowne, I went in mundane clothes. There was the gate booth, and then you had to walk down this twisty path to get to another big gate where the guards make fun of you when you come in. When I walked through that gate, I knew I was home. I also felt a bit embarrassed because I knew I should be dressed in something a little more presentable than a tank top and jeans. Still, at that point I knew that I had to enjoy every minute of it, because when today ended the magic would be gone and I'd be in the "real" world again. And it was, and so we went to Borders and I consoled myself with CDs and books enough to keep me until next year. I spent the entire year getting ready for the next faire, and somewhere in the middle of it I realized that I still had the "magic" and it was all ok. Since then I've grown up a little, not too much of course, and I still spend every year thinking about the next faire. I find even more adventure in my life, so I guess the faire is really just inspiration. Also the food is a winner, and I have a lot of friends there, and it has lots of cool things to buy(swords, axes, armor). And I am probably over analyzing it, more likely it's like Gardo says, BOOBS!  :D

So to answer the real questions:
1) 2003(I think)
2) My parents actually offered to take me, just off the cuff one day
3) the ADVENTURE!

I talk too much, and the sad thing is, I know it and do it anyway.
"Lads, we're surrounded, outnumbered, and will probably all die tomorrow. But I do have good news!"

"..."

"I just found a bunch of beer down in the cellar!"

battlemonk

• Il Lupo
  • Notorious Member (200 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 2
  • Home Faire: MiRF
  • I am so dreadfully confused.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 07, 09:17:59 pm CST »

Ah, reviving a flagging thread.

I've been going to faire since, oh, 1999 or 2000, I'll guess. I started working in 2002. What drew me to going initially? Well, initially my parents took me (yeah, I'm here to make all of you feel old) 'cause they'd gone back in the '80s or some such, closer to when MiRF had started, because some of their friends had a shop there. I went and enjoyed it, and then got involved (unrelatedly) in a "Shakespeare Festival" elective in my 8th grade year of middle school. I had to costume myself, which led to a teacher at my middle school giving me all this info on websites he'd found.... long story short I read about fest (and actually found Lundegaard Armory and the depravity therein) in 8th grade, and came up with a costume for 2001. After which I worked at a Wassail feast with some people from MiRF, who encouraged me to audition, blah blah blah, I worked there in 2002.
What keeps me coming back other than obligations to friends? Boobs, friends, the fun of performing... wearing a codpiece and ridiculous costume (actually, only the codpiece is particularly ridiculous....) pretty women who come to get hit on... yeah, it's all around good fun.
Cosimo Alessandro Monterosso da Firenze
Rogue #1184
Liaison of Hollygrove
Order of the Hounds, 1st Class
"And then began the groveling"

bonniestrangeways

• Craic Dealer
  • Notorious Member (200 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 8
  • Hazardous to your health
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 07, 05:50:38 pm CST »

1 - GARF in 1996 was my first faire.

2 - I went with family, who thought it would appeal to the history buff in me. It did. Between the music and the combat, I was stuck faster than tooth-rot on a crack-whore.

3 - Hmmm, it's a toos-up between the music and performace-aspect that I have, or the fellowship with friends. I love to watch to pagentry of it still to this day, and introducing my children to it makes it even more special for me. Oh, and because I'm feeling out of place without it....

BOOBS
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 07, 05:52:24 pm CST by bonniestrangeways »
Bonnie Strangeways

I feel a sin coming on...

Teastaioinn cineal uaim

Wench #2694
SSPF#4 - Sexy Sewer Siren; Songs & Swords Specialist...Triple S Threat!

That's RABID BITCH to you! *woof, woof*

If you're going to ride my ass........ at least pull my hair!

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 07, 12:59:18 pm CST »

I guess I might as well answer my own questions now:

1) How long have you been doing Faire? Since 1989, NYRF was my first Faire
2) What drew you to it originally?  A ladyfriend I had the hots for.  I was there all of an hour and it felt like I had come home for the first time in my life. 
3) What keeps you coming back?  These days, not much.  Mostly friends but a lot of the shine is off the penny for me.  Still, there's always the magic of introducing new people to our subversive subculture of steel, leather, booze and BOOBS!!!
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up