Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: XMas question - Best toy ever  (Read 8589 times)

JohnBroadfoot

• Blatant Member (300 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: -2
Re: XMas question - Best toy ever
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 08, 02:13:47 am CST »

http://retrocrush.buzznet.com/archive2007/boxofglory/

My favourite is in the third video down on this sight. However, I remember them as Whirleybirds, not "Vertibirds". Mine had a huge styrofoam ship as it's base and I spent many hours with it.
C.R.F. Liaison, "Nos Primus Potatio-Postremus Ordo".

Mercenaries Guild Warden to CRF, "Nos Solum Amici Vos Habeo".

The Lucky Bastard Lover of Amy.

A woman's most important feature is between...
her ears!

I love the smell of Wenches in the morning!

Be easy and free when you're drinking with me. I'm a man you don't meet every day.

Safe Home!

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • Illustrious Member (5000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 87
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 08, 08:41:24 am CST »

I had the same ship.  By the time we had to get rid of it the sides of the Styrofoam ship were totally chewed up from the chopper blades.  Hell, I had half the toys on that site.  Good times that 70's childhood.
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
I'm here to keep the place from being boring.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

Macko

• Dread pira...errr privateer
  • Celebrious Member (800 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 13
  • First Mate / S.O. of the "Diamond's Rule"
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 08, 08:49:00 pm CST »

Bein' that I come from a large family, we had a bunch of those toys at my mother's house. We used to get that helicopter goin' as fast as we could.

Now, that disc gun. I remember when they came out. They were originally marketed as phasers. Tyin' them in with Star Trek obviously. They used to come with hard plastic discs, not the foam ones that are out now. I was workin' for my 2nd band at that time (the year was 1975 I think) and everyone on our crew had one. We used to have massive gun battles with them. We would even harass the band during their set on some of the slower nights. Cymbals and bass strings make great targets. heheheh.

We started a trend with the guns as well. Some of our friends on other crews got into them. We got into a lot of trouble with a couple of the club owners. They banned the guns because they were clogging up their vacume cleaners.  :D
Theres sober men in plenty
and drunkards barely twenty.
That a man of over ninety, that have never yet kissed a girl.
But give me a ramblin' rover
Frae Orkney and to Dover
We will roam the country over and together we'll face the world.

Maximiliano

See my gallery at Zazzle

MorganDesdichado

• Prominent Member (600 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 09, 10:07:27 pm CST »

HotWheels & MatchBox cars from the 60's
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 09, 10:08:28 pm CST by MorganDesdichado »
If you're feeling good, don't worry. You'll get over it.

Lars Wodensson

• The ShadowRogue
  • Shady Member (100 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 1
  • Dreamer, Poet, Philosopher, Writer, ShadowRogue.
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 09, 10:59:55 pm CST »

GI Joe tops my list. I had a shit load of vehicles, and i don't know how many action figures. Snake Eyes was definitly a favorite, along with Flash, with the laser rifle(so cool), and Clutch, with the VAMP jeep, and the APC troop transport. Best vehical ever though had to be the battle tank with moving treads. Too awesome. The motorcycles with gatling gun side cars, and the F-14 plane. And then of course I'd drool from looking at Scarlett... ah the good old days. Too bad they all got sold in one of my parents garage sales. dammit! As a consolation however, I still have one of the original full size GI Joe action figures, though he' s a little worse for wear, so not exactly in "mint" condition.
"Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night."
-Thulsa Doom
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."- Han Solo
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."
-Douglas Adams

Roberto Phoenix

• Blatant Member (300 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 7
  • Home Faire: Olde World Renaissance Fair
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 09, 09:42:08 am CST »

My first real favorite was Captain Action.  He was like the original full size GI Joe's but you could change his outfit and put on a mask and he became Superman, Batman, Green Hornet, Spiderman, whatever.  After that it had to be Mego Superheros untill Star wars hit.  I still have a ton of stuff in my basement.  Everything from 1960's GI Joe and Aurora models up to the current Satr Wars Line.  I even have Doctor Who toys.  Right now I'm drolling over the new Mobies models who have the license now for the old Auroras.
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

Zardoz

• Ignominious Member (20 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 3
  • Kiltman, False god to the brutals.
« Reply #26 on: Nov 19, 09, 01:19:19 pm CST »

My all time favorite was the 'Matt Mason' spaceman stuff,
http://www.wildtoys.com/MMMPage/index.asp

it came out in like '68-'69 and was discontinued in 1971, not sure why, I guess because the American people got bored with the idea of FUCKING SPACE TRAVEL !  I had all the stuff though, wish I still did!  :(
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 09, 01:21:41 pm CST by Zardoz »
Pants are for men with ugly legs!
IBRSC# 1619
Clan McLotofus

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • Illustrious Member (5000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 87
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 09, 01:27:31 pm CST »

Thanks Zardoz, you just helped me recall (in a round about fashion) one of the toys I had back in the 70's:
http://www.inthe80s.com/toys/image.php?image=http://www.inthe80s.com/toys/images/user-image-1247788675.jpg
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
I'm here to keep the place from being boring.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up