Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fast Food at Home AKA Favorite Shortcuts to Dinner or Kitchen Quickies  (Read 2176 times)

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • Illustrious Member (5000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 87
  • The Stealth Rogue

A lot of times these days we're either lacking in energy, time or interest to invest an hour or more making a really good meal but we're not going to eat junkfood (again) and call it dinner either.  List your favorite short cuts to get you from hungry to fed.

A personal favorite of my wife, myself and several of our friends are Simmer Sauces.  Companies like Tiger Tiger do up good ones and (unlike most of the crap you'll find on the stupor-market shelves) have a good list of real ingredients.  No Gwar Gum in sight...not that a rousing chorus of "Sex-icutioner" isn't fun.  Here's my personal fav:

http://shop.vendio.com/worldeats/item/944605801/index.html

That price is for a flat of 12 jars of the stuff. 

One jar, 1-2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs ('cause that's where the flavuh resides) and rice and you have dinner in 20-30 minutes including prep time. 
  • Cube and pan sear the chicken until almost done.
  • Pour in the sauce.
  • Simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Pour over rice or noodles. 

What are your preferred kitchen quickies?
« Last Edit: May 16, 08, 02:27:38 pm CDT by The 6th Rogue »
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
I'm here to keep the place from being boring.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

Gardo

• Ikariam Group
  • Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 44
  • Like Ana but Male!
    • ludgardo

sounds good I gotta give it a try
"Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici" ("By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe"

"Religion is about faith, not evidence. Comparing science and religion isn't like comparing apples and oranges—it's more like apples and sewing machines." ~ Jack Horner

Maggie

• I'm the nice one Damn It!!
  • Ikariam Group
  • Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 68
  • Home Faire: Michigan Renaissance Festival
  • Not perfect, but still pretty damn good

1 pound linguine noodles
1 bag frozen veggies (I usually use the brocolli/caluiflower/carrot mix)
Olive oil
garlic powder (or whatever seasonings you feel like)

Cook the noodles, nuke the veggies.  Combine.  Toss with olive oil and the garlic powder.
Maggie Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
SSPF #10
"Fuck". To you it's profanity, to me it's a physical exercise

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue

sounds good I gotta give it a try

Sounds like you need to pack up the wife and the baby and come down and let me cook for you guys.
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

battlemonk

• Il Lupo
  • Notorious Member (200 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 2
  • Home Faire: MiRF
  • I am so dreadfully confused.

I enjoy simple pasta and sauce, macaroni & cheese from a box, and I'm especially a fan of one dish that I've come across recently that involves rice, chicken, canned tomatoes, and chicken broth. When it's not 3 AM I can find the recipe and pass it along if it sounds interesting enough to you all.

But I'm generally a very dichotomously lazy person when it comes to cooking. Either I don't feel like doing anything and eat stuff straight out of the fridge (fresh mozzarella, some lunchmeat, etc.) or I go balls-to-the-wall and make a huge, involved meal (or single dish.)

I'm known among some for my chicken soup from scratch, among others for my soda bread from scratch, and among more for my general tendency to cook 6 or more dishes for a "simple" dinner.
Cosimo Alessandro Monterosso da Firenze
Rogue #1184
Liaison of Hollygrove
Order of the Hounds, 1st Class
"And then began the groveling"

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue

Beer bread's another fun and fast bit:

A bag of quick loaf and a bottle of honey lager.  I add more honey to the batter and drizzel honey on top before shoving it in the oven...I also serve it with home made honey butter most times.
King Nerd of Dorkshire.

hawksraven

• The Little Feisty One
  • Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 39
  • She of the Evil Overbite

Now see I LOVE to cook - made Chile Rellenos last night for dinner.  Roasted the poblanos myself then filled 'em with goat cheese.....It's my relax time.  I really don't own anything that comes in a box besides panko and oatmeal and the only cans I own are canned tomatoes...when I make chili I soak dried beans overnight.  Make bread from scratch....

But I have some really good recipes that don't involve salty prepackaged stuff that are really quick!

Boneless chicken breasts
Cream
Parmesan or Romano Cheese (the good stuff - grate it yourself)
Sliced Green Olives with Pimentos (drain them and rinse them off to get off all the salt)
Garlic

Get the chicken breats cooking with the garlic.
When you turn the breasts pour on the cream and the olives.
About two minutes before you're done add the cheese.
The sauce will thicken up nicely
Make enough of the sauce to go over some whole wheat pasta.

It's not really bad for you because the cream has good dairy fats in it which help you absorb nutrients....

I've even had an ex call and ask how to make it because he had a craving....Simple but really good....
IWG #3200
Battle Bytch and Privateer
all rolled into one feisty little package!

I'll try acting nicer if you try acting smarter...
Pages: [1]   Go Up