Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 2984 times)

DARKJESTER

• Don Juan, The Hurricane of Spain
  • Shady Member (100 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
  • Home Faire: Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival
Greetings!
« on: Oct 03, 08, 03:46:07 pm CDT »

I'm a Rogue who has spent most of his wandering to the west, with my home faire being KCRF.  I'm temporarilly living in West Virginia and will be visiting MDRF on the weekend of the 11th & 12th.  I'd love to meet some fellow Rogues!  Is there anything/anyone I can't possibly miss while there?  I'll be dressed but somewhat controlled since I'll have some of my fencing students with me, but I do have plans of escaping their hold for part of the day at least.

Thanks so much,
Don Juan Diego - the DARKJESTER
DARKJESTER
Rogue#496, Merc#300, Bard# 316, Privateeer #142.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."  ~H. L. Mencken

lordwriothsley

• The Rogue Noble
  • Scandalous Member (50 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: -12
  • Carolina Renaissance Festival 2009
    • USARennies
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 08, 08:00:54 pm CDT »

Hail and Well Met to thee.
Welcome aboard DarkJester.Enjoy all the fun and chaos on here.As for MDRF there are three acts that I would recommend you not miss.One is the Pyrates Royale who have been main stays there for quite a few years and are a very very good group.Two are the O'Danny Girls and Three are The interpreters who are a two woman act so if you like bawdy music and beautiful women then my friend I suggest that you catch one their shows.They also have quite a few pubs to choose from as well.The only one that I can think of off the top of my head right now is the White Hart Pub which a lot MDRF's patrons seem to love to go.Anyway once again welcome to the forums my friend.
Clan M'Crack
Earl of Southampton
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
IBRSC#1584
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • Illustrious Member (5000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 87
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 08, 08:19:52 pm CDT »

Welcome aboard DJ.  Maybe you can help us all teach lardwrithingsly how to fucking type...like putting two spaces between sentences so it doesn't read like someone brick bashed you in the head when you were young.
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
I'm here to keep the place from being boring.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

DARKJESTER

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 08, 08:55:38 pm CDT »

It's been a long time since I posted on the Forum's, and the first for posting in the Southeast region.  Not working at faire for a bit now has made it almost painful to read all of the delightful stories here, like having your favorite blade stolen or being forced to drink cheap Vodka.  But I still checked in, just never posted.  But discussing faire with my students (most who are 14-16), wearing all of my garb for them in class, and discussing about how faire becomes a part of your life really made me realize how much I miss it.  Thus we're coming.

I really can't believe how excited I am right now.  It's like being reborn, but with a better alcohol tolerance and the same facination with breasts.
DARKJESTER

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."  ~H. L. Mencken

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 08, 11:02:17 am CDT »

There is a thrill to teaching what goes into the whole package.  A friend of mine from NJRF&K both shared several history classes together in Rutgers so as part of a special project we worked on with the professor we had the class meet in an auditorium and we marched out in full armor with an array of weapons, equipment and clothing for them to examne and taught a class on the hands on aspect of all that and what's historic and what's Hollywood.  It was great fun even if most of the sudents were scared of us the rest of the semester.
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

lordwriothsley

• The Rogue Noble
  • Scandalous Member (50 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: -12
  • Carolina Renaissance Festival 2009
    • USARennies
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 08, 11:40:42 am CDT »

Wow............that class sounded like a lot of fun.The only thing that sucks about marching in full armor and weapons and all the rest is when you are out at a renaissance faire the heat tends to kill you to point of almost going down from heat exhaustion.I say this because there is a guy that I work with at VARF which is my home faire that marches every year in full out armor in 90 and 100 + degree weather with heat index's of 95-115.What makes it so interesting is the fact that he is in his 60's doing this.Every year during the season we always look at him and think "How do you do this in this kind of heat?"
Clan M'Crack
Earl of Southampton
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
IBRSC#1584
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

DARKJESTER

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 08, 05:40:35 pm CDT »

There is a thrill to teaching what goes into the whole package.

That's the key to my classes.  I don't just want my students to know how to fence, salute, etc.  I make a point of making them understand why we do all of it.  Where the salute comes from, where the styles come from, and so on.  Twice a year we even cover the Code duello, dressing them up in my various faire clothing sets and having them pair up with their own Second, a reason for the Duel, and such.  Since I do have mainly 12 to 16 year olds, I do my best to make it fun for them.  I remember some of my boring teachers and professors, and more importantly how often I skipped some of their classes.  I want them to come. 

God, I feel like I moved into teacher mode, I'll shut up now.

We did have a guy at KCRF wander around in full armor for a while.  I remember the day it hit about 100 before humidity, you could hear that armor clang like a bell when he passed out.
DARKJESTER

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 08, 07:46:52 pm CDT »

A friend of mine talked me into driving all the way from Jersey to a short lived Faire in, I think Tennessee or something like that.  We went down and I insisted I was wearing my armor no matter what since he insisted on driving all the way back and forth.  It was easily 95 in the shade and I clumped and clanged about drinking  water as much as I could the whole day (dry site so no booze).  They had full armored jousting knights and I saw one lumber to the bar after a show and collapse on the bar and start drowning himself to keep hydrated. 

I just couldn't resist.

I snuck up behind him as much as plate and chain would allow and faked my best stupid sothern drawl "Ain't y'all hot in tha'?"

The guy set his shoulders, smacked his flagon to the bar and turned around with a look that could melt stone...until he saw me.  He looks me up and down twice, adopts a Shakespearean Pose(tm) and declares "Why nay goodly Sir!  This moisture you doth see be from yonder air conditioner I've shoved up mine ass!" 

We both had a good strong laugh and ordered a round of water and a round of Mountain Dew and talked shop a bit.

Oh...by the end of the day the guy that drove us down and back was no longer a Daine.  I forced him to buy full Faire garb and then sicked a pair of local Wenches on him.  He never looked back after that.
King Nerd of Dorkshire.

Ocasio

• Costume: Spanish Nobleman
  • Renowned Member (500 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 12
  • Home Faire: Alabama & Tennessee Renaissance Faires
  • http://ocasio.renspace.com
    • www.shadowmist.net
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 08, 10:08:25 am CDT »

Ah life is good at faire! Good story 6th.
Ocasio Cruz - Rogue #694 Member since 2000
Pages: [1]   Go Up