Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: For Ron ...it's a star wars thang  (Read 11575 times)

noJ

• Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 45
Re: For Ron ...it's a star wars thang
« Reply #20 on: Nov 04, 10, 11:51:17 am CDT »

That's funny, I thought Ron got defensive lol. Remember, we're still getting to know each other.

One thing I never liked about Vader's mantle is that he really could not raise his arms. Not very functional. That does not mean that you can't improve on that design to make it functional. The movement of a jedi depend greatly on dexterity. You wouldn't want to bind up. The leather mantle is a great idea so long as you can reacch over your head and touch your other shoulder. Also you want to be able to put your hand together straight out and raise them straight up over your head from that position. Think Karate Kid!

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • Illustrious Member (5000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 87
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #21 on: Nov 04, 10, 11:58:35 am CDT »

All good suggestions.  I'm looking forward to see where you go from here with it.

BTW - the top saber in my collection is this one:

http://randomsabers.com/saber.php?name=killswitch
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
I'm here to keep the place from being boring.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

Sarah

• I'm not so scary, am I?
  • Inebriation Level: 39
  • Pucker Up Buttercup!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 10, 12:02:23 pm CDT »

OK, now that I've gotten that out of my system....

Cas, I wouldn't worry about a shirt under your clothing.  Scars and veins and weird shit like that isn't necessary.  *kicks Jon... because she can*  Personally, I like the look of the bare arms under the leather pieces.  Polish up the guns and rock on.  IMNSHO, what Jon's suggesting would be overkill and ruin an already hot outfit.  Not to mention that it might look a tad amateurish.

With the new picture, for some reason I can get a better view of your abdomen and the hot mess of the belts.  Are those just random belts you've buckled on?  I like the concept, but you need a little more of a stomacher or waist cincher concept to make it work.  A large piece of leather to back the belts and give some structure, not raw silk.  If possible, I'd go with maybe a shave smaller width belts and put the buckles on one side or the other, not both.  If you insist on using the raw silk, cut the belts down to one or two and make the silk into an obi style sash.  Personally, I'd use the raw silk to make the cloak.

For color... you've already got blue, so I'd stick with shades of blue.  Too many colors added in would turn you into Rainbow Jedi - and that's not a good thing.  Besides, you can do wonders with navy blue, blue-black, etc.  For some odd reason, I'm seeing a dark blue as the sash around your waist under the black belts.  Probably because I'm seeing the leather shirt is lined in blue and it'll give some depth and dimension to the outfit instead of being just all black.  You could also line the cloak in a darker blue, perhaps one or two shades off of black?

As for leather vs. resin - let the storm troopers go with the resin.  With what you've got so far, adding cast, inflexible resin pieces to this outfit would be like adding that ghetto painted, latex smeared, veiny, scarred underarmor shirt under your leather pieces - ridiculous and overkill, not to mention it'll look half-assed and incoherent in design. 
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 10, 12:03:48 pm CDT by Sarah »
The Undercover Wench

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile .

Trouble of Mischief, Mayhem and Trouble

Pretty Goddamn Princess.

noJ

« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 10, 12:15:50 pm CDT »

Scars and veins and weird shit like that isn't necessary.  *kicks Jon... because she can*  With what you've got so far, adding cast, inflexible resin pieces to this outfit would be like adding that ghetto painted, latex smeared, veiny, scarred underarmor shirt under your leather pieces - ridiculous and overkill, not to mention it'll look half-assed and incoherent in design. 
Thanks for the kick!  ;)
All I was talking about was something for the upper arms so that they still appear to be exposed but they look like dark jedi skin which is pale and spider veiny like in kotor when your toon falls to the darkside. Only for the exposed parts of the upper arms! Remember Vader's skin tone when he was unmasked? That's what I'm talking about. If I was going to show natural skin tone on a jedi costume, then I would be a follower of the light.
Obviously any covering would eliminate that detail.
BTW I didn't learn how to do that in the ghetto you know. I'll post a pic of what I made a few years ago when I get home later.

Sarah

• Pucker Up Buttercup!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 10, 12:23:50 pm CDT »

Thanks for the kick!  ;)
All I was talking about was something for the upper arms so that they still appear to be exposed but they look like dark jedi skin which is pale and spider veiny like in kotor when your toon falls to the darkside. Only for the exposed parts of the upper arms! Remember Vader's skin tone when he was unmasked? That's what I'm talking about. If I was going to show natural skin tone on a jedi costume, then I would be a follower of the light.
Obviously any covering would eliminate that detail.
BTW I didn't learn how to do that in the ghetto you know. I'll post a pic of what I made a few years ago when I get home later.

*rolls eyes* So, you're basing ALL dark Jedi on the example of two?  Really?

"The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing us he didn't exist".  Just because a Jedi falls Dark or even Grey, doesn't mean they go zombie and pasty.  Dark does not always equal grotesque.  The only reason Anakin turned out pasty and scarred is because he fell into a lava river, remember?  Before that, he was as handsome as ever.  Had he NOT fallen into the lava, I'm pretty sure he'd rack up a handful of scars, but pasty and nasty?  Not a chance.

Stop painting all with one broad brush stroke.  Just because YOU would do it that way doesn't mean that it's the only way to do it.  Besides, I get the feeling that Cas isn't into that sort of thing.  If he'd wanted pasty and veined arms, he would have said you had a great idea.
The Undercover Wench

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile .

Pretty Goddamn Princess.

noJ

« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 10, 12:24:50 pm CDT »

Sarah is right. Dark blue would work nice. I couldn't tell what material that was underneath. Definitely dye it darker!

I would totally do something like this. Except cut my hair.

noJ

« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 10, 12:25:22 pm CDT »

noJ

« Reply #27 on: Nov 04, 10, 12:31:37 pm CDT »

To be honest, I wasn't thinking about just two jedi. I was thinking of kotor and what happens to your appearance as you fall further to the darkside. I'm just throwing ideas out. I never said anybody has to do anything. I just said what I would do.
I agree with your quote, but unless your going for the count dooku look, there is no reason to hide what you are. A dark jedi warrior with a mask, im my opinion, makes for something fearsome.

BTW Anakin's eyes changed before he fell in the lava. He was looking pretty pale too!

noJ

« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 10, 12:33:29 pm CDT »

What am i talking about? He never fell into the lava as we were all led to believe before the movie came out. He fell near it.
Just wanted to correct myself AND SARAH before you guys did  ;)

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 10, 12:38:26 pm CDT »

Did you guys ever think that Vader was all sorts of pale and fish belly because his skin never saw sunlight?  Except for being in his armored breathing chamber thingy he wore his helmet 24x7. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5blbv4WFriM&feature=related
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

noJ

« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 10, 12:39:42 pm CDT »

That never crossed my mind. Excellent observation!

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #31 on: Nov 04, 10, 12:41:17 pm CDT »

Yeah, I do that.
King Nerd of Dorkshire.

noJ

« Reply #32 on: Nov 04, 10, 12:47:12 pm CDT »

Then again you ARE, without a doubt, more of a starwars fan than I. I tend to lean more towards star trek than star wars. I'm not saying that I know more about star trek than you. Just that I lean more to star trek than star wars. I can still hold a good star wars conversation though.

Ocasio

• Costume: Spanish Nobleman
  • Renowned Member (500 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 12
  • Home Faire: Alabama & Tennessee Renaissance Faires
  • http://ocasio.renspace.com
    • www.shadowmist.net
« Reply #33 on: Nov 04, 10, 12:54:28 pm CDT »

*rolls eyes* So, you're basing ALL dark Jedi on the example of two?  Really?

"The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing us he didn't exist".  Just because a Jedi falls Dark or even Grey, doesn't mean they go zombie and pasty.  Dark does not always equal grotesque.  The only reason Anakin turned out pasty and scarred is because he fell into a lava river, remember?  Before that, he was as handsome as ever.  Had he NOT fallen into the lava, I'm pretty sure he'd rack up a handful of scars, but pasty and nasty?  Not a chance.

Stop painting all with one broad brush stroke.  Just because YOU would do it that way doesn't mean that it's the only way to do it.  Besides, I get the feeling that Cas isn't into that sort of thing.  If he'd wanted pasty and veined arms, he would have said you had a great idea.

Oh, you're getting one hella fiending for this one...you can read me perty good.  Thx!

The blue that you guys are getting from the pics is actually just the light 'rough-out' or the back-side/inside of the leather - no lining.  The camera flash makes it look blue, it's really kinda gray-ish.  I will prolly put mink oil on it to blacken it; it's brand new.

I see where you're coming from Jon but I like my shiz very authentic and non-cosmetic and I'm not goth...I'm Sith.  I will prolly shave my head for a maskless version during convention appearances.
Ocasio Cruz - Rogue #694 Member since 2000

noJ

« Reply #34 on: Nov 04, 10, 01:05:57 pm CDT »

I like authentic too! I like fearsome and intimidating! Battle scarred, dusty, weathered, whatever you want to call it.
I'm not goth either. Never was. I'm just really good at being evil or at least appearing evil and grotesque to freak people out. I did a zombie as a teenager and I buried the clothes for a few months and dug them up before halloween. Added lots of latex and blood an voila. Comfort is irrelevant to me when it comes to freaking people out.

Sarah

• Pucker Up Buttercup!
« Reply #35 on: Nov 04, 10, 01:09:48 pm CDT »

I like authentic too! I like fearsome and intimidating! Battle scarred, dusty, weathered, whatever you want to call it.
I'm not goth either. Never was. I'm just really good at being evil or at least appearing evil and grotesque to freak people out. I did a zombie as a teenager and I buried the clothes for a few months and dug them up before halloween. Added lots of latex and blood an voila. Comfort is irrelevant to me when it comes to freaking people out.

Congratulations.

You've just become the embodiment of everything I HATE about Halloween and what it's turned into.
The Undercover Wench

Pretty Goddamn Princess.

Sarah

• Pucker Up Buttercup!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 04, 10, 01:12:27 pm CDT »

Did you guys ever think that Vader was all sorts of pale and fish belly because his skin never saw sunlight?  Except for being in his armored breathing chamber thingy he wore his helmet 24x7. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5blbv4WFriM&feature=related

Like I'd talk out of my ass in front of you.  Yes, he was in the armored suit 24x7.  He was in the suit because it was life support - because he was burned by lava. 

I'm not wrong and I don't need correcting - JON.
The Undercover Wench

Pretty Goddamn Princess.

Sarah

• Pucker Up Buttercup!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 04, 10, 01:14:53 pm CDT »

Oh, you're getting one hella fiending for this one...you can read me perty good.  Thx!

The blue that you guys are getting from the pics is actually just the light 'rough-out' or the back-side/inside of the leather - no lining.  The camera flash makes it look blue, it's really kinda gray-ish.  I will prolly put mink oil on it to blacken it; it's brand new.

I see where you're coming from Jon but I like my shiz very authentic and non-cosmetic and I'm not goth...I'm Sith.  I will prolly shave my head for a maskless version during convention appearances.

Ah, gotcha.  Like flashes turning red into pink and all that jazz.  I still think blue would be a good color to work with.

SHAVE THAT HEAD?  Uhm... Please tell me you're joking... right?  Unless you've already cut off the hair in your avatar, DON'T!!  Please, for the love of midichlorians, DON'T!!!
The Undercover Wench

Pretty Goddamn Princess.

noJ

« Reply #38 on: Nov 04, 10, 01:26:29 pm CDT »

Congratulations.

You've just become the embodiment of everything I HATE about Halloween and what it's turned into.

I only go that crazy when I dress up. I don't even dress up every year. Maybe every other year or two. Last year, my wife and I got married on halloween. Nothing gross.
I was just describing the level of authenticity I am willing to achieve for costuming purposes. It doesn't have to be halloween.

What do you HATE about it and what it's become? I have a very old school attitude towards Halloween. I do what most are unwilling to do. And I do it for me.

noJ

« Reply #39 on: Nov 04, 10, 01:32:51 pm CDT »

Like I'd talk out of my ass in front of you.  Yes, he was in the armored suit 24x7.  He was in the suit because it was life support - because he was burned by lava. 

I'm not wrong and I don't need correcting - JON.
Oh now he was only burned. Both of us, before, referred to him actually falling into the lava. That was both our bad.  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up