Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rift...  (Read 1488 times)

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
  • Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 51
  • The Forgotten Musketeer!!!
    • http://www.madamebonancieux.com/musket.html
Rift...
« on: May 02, 11, 10:30:19 am CDT »

I spent most of the weekend playing
Rift. It's pretty cool so far. Uses the same basic template as all mmo's so if you've played any in the past, you can jump right in and know what you're doing.

One thing that's cool about it is the way the classes work. There's 4 class archetypes (warrior, rogue, mage, and cleric) and each of those have 8 subdivisions that you get to pick 3 of. So, rather than being a ranger or an assassin or a bard, you can be a ranger/assassin/bard and get the abilities of all three.

I went with assassin (one of only two rouge subdivisions that get stealth and I love me some stealth), riftstalker (gets some defensive capabilities that make up for the assassins purely offensive abilities, plus they can teleport short distances so you can *bamf* around the battlefield like Nightcrawler from Xmen) and marksman (some cool ranged abilities you can use while moving).

What's really unique are the rifts themselves. Like every mmo, you spend most of your time questing and working on tradeskills but every so often a rift will appear at a random place at a random time and monsters will start pouring through and wreak havoc on the area. If you don't stop what you're doing and deal with it right away they will spread all over, even taking over towns and killing questgivers and merchants.

It's pretty intense. There have already been a few times where we didn't beat them back quick enough and they swarmed all over the zone making questing pretty much impossible. Once they get a foothold in the zone the elite bosses show up and it pretty much turns into a raid. We were basically fucked until the cavalry showed up (higher level players from other zones) and even then it took a good half hour before we beat them back and sealed the rift.

All in all it's both similar enough and different enough to keep my interest. The rifts give it an uncertainty that's quite exciting. I'll definitely be sticking around for awhile to see how it gets at higher levels. I'll also try a warrior and maybe a cleric to see how they play.

Has anyone else tried it???

8)
"Only a man who drinks could talk like that!"
"We escape the unendurable however we can."
- Vincent Price 'The Comedy of Terrors'

Curben

• Ikariam Group
  • Inebriation Level: 130
  • wheeeeeeeee!
    • http://www.phofire.com
Re: Rift...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 11, 11:08:50 am CDT »

cost anything?

Curben Justic
#1112 Bristol Liaison

http://curtb.evony.com

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 11, 12:07:51 pm CDT »

Standard mmo monthly fee but I think it's a few bucks less than most.

Haven't paid yet. Just started Saturday so I'm on the free trial month for now.

8)

Curben

• Ikariam Group
  • Inebriation Level: 130
  • wheeeeeeeee!
    • http://www.phofire.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 11, 12:11:28 pm CDT »

ahhh. nm, i cant afford to pay attentuion these days

Curben Justic
#1112 Bristol Liaison

http://curtb.evony.com

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • Illustrious Member (5000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 87
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 11, 03:46:22 pm CDT »

If my money and personal time situation changes I'll give it a go.  Sounds like a lot of fun.
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
I'm here to keep the place from being boring.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

noJ

• Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 45
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 11, 06:05:57 pm CDT »

I was thinking about it. Still am!

Trying to get back into STO right now and managing to fit in some WoW as well. I have guild responsibilities unfortunately.

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 11, 10:09:27 pm CDT »

I need to get back into STO as well but this time of year my mind is out doors instead of in video games.  Once it starts getting too warm to be comfortable outside I'll be video gaming it up again.
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

noJ

• Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 45
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 11, 07:04:51 am CDT »

Yeah I get that too! I only get on WoW for guild stuff and raiding. STO is a lot more time consuming than WoW. At least for me. I'm still leveling and still learning how to play the game. I haven't logged too many hours on that one. A few friends started playing Rift and they may persuade me to try it out. They are just waiting for the old republic to come out.

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 11, 10:29:07 am CDT »

I didn't have much interest in STO but maybe I should try it.

I'm also less than eager for The Old Republic, although I'm sure I'll try it out. The lack of class variety kinda' bugs me. I don't want to be a Jedi so the only choices are smuggler or trooper. Not much of a choice, really.

8)

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 11, 10:59:13 am CDT »

STO is a bit odd in that it appears that there are only three classes which are service divisions:  Tactical, Engineering and Science.  It gets more subtle after that depending on the skills you invest in.  It takes some serious reading of the skill descriptions and on the wiki to see where you want to go with it but there's a lot of variation in what you can do.  Case in point: my engineering admiral is devistating in keeping his starship going while handing out uber damage but gets whumped hard in ground combat when he's alone because of his skill choices.
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up