Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first published short story appears in the book Lawyers in Hell  (Read 2629 times)

Lars Wodensson

• The ShadowRogue
  • Shady Member (100 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 1
  • Dreamer, Poet, Philosopher, Writer, ShadowRogue.

I just recently published my first fiction short story "Remember, Remember, Hell in November", in the shared world anthology collection Lawyers in Hell, edited by Janet & Chris Morris. This book marks the return of the Heroes in Hell series that was first created by Janet Morris and published in 1986, and comprised 12 books of short story anthologies and novels through 1989. The new book which just came out is a collection of 22 short stories that connect with each other through a common story arc, and many of the stories share characters. The characters in the series are all based on actual historical (all must be deceased) or mythological figures, with a few exceptions. If you like dark, witty humor, action, and a cast of hundreds of famous and infamous characters, you will love this book!
Some of the notable characters in Lawyers in Hell include: Guy Fawkes, Anton LaVey, Kurt Cobain, Che Guvera, Julius Caesar, Cleopatra, Napoleon, Alexander the Great, wellington, Achilles, Bram Stoker, John Adams, Satan, Harry Houdini, Leonidas, Wyatt Earp, and many, many others.
The book is available through Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com in trade paperback, hardcover, and E-book for Nook, Kindle, and other formats as well.
Go check it out, it's a damned good read.
"Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night."
-Thulsa Doom
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."- Han Solo
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."
-Douglas Adams

Lars Wodensson

• The ShadowRogue
Re: My first published short story appears in the book Lawyers in Hell
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 11, 10:38:17 am CDT »

And also you can go "Like" the facebook pages for Heroes in Hell, Lawyers in Hell, and join the fan community group, Irredeemable Order of Hellions on facebook, and on our forum web page at www.iohellions.com
And we are getting a big group of authors together for the launch party of the book and discussion panels at LibertyCon convention in Chattanooga, TN July 15-17th. www.libertycon.org
OK,  shameless promotion over! Thanks Rogues!

"Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night."
-Thulsa Doom
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."- Han Solo
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."
-Douglas Adams

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • Illustrious Member (5000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 87
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 11, 10:08:07 pm CDT »

Grats dude!
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
I'm here to keep the place from being boring.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

Lars Wodensson

• The ShadowRogue
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 11, 02:44:17 pm CDT »

Thanks! It is an awesome feeling. I'm working on the story for the next book in the series to be released next year.
-Thulsa Doom
-Douglas Adams

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 11, 02:45:46 pm CDT »

How'd you get involved in something like that?
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

noJ

• Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 45
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 11, 06:54:27 pm CDT »

I wish my wife would break her shyness shell and put some of her stories out in this manner or something similar. She's afraid of rejection.

Got any advice I can pass on?

Hallertauer

• Ikariam Group
  • Inebriation Level: 19
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 11, 08:30:10 am CDT »

Got any advice I can pass on?
Don't fart in a spacesuit.

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 11, 09:11:12 am CDT »

+1 Haller!  LOLZ!
King Nerd of Dorkshire.

noJ

« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 11, 10:59:57 am CDT »

+1

Best scene in Rocket Man

Lars Wodensson

• The ShadowRogue
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 11, 12:49:22 pm CDT »

Sorry I haven't replied to this sooner. I haven't been on this forum much lately. Just been busy with life and writing, and stuff.

6th, I got involved with the series through a series of interesting events that involved saying the right things, to the right person, on the right web site, at the right time. Long story short, I attended a writers' workshop in 2010 that really taught me a lot, and bolstered my confidence as a writer. Barely a month after that I happened to be leaving comments on one of Janet Morris' web page and facebook pages regarding another series she and her husband write called The Sacred Band, which started with stories that appeared in the Thieves' World series in the 1980's. They had just published a new novel for the series called The Sacred Band and they were promoting it online through pages and groups that encouraged feedback and comments about the characters, and stories. Being a big fan of that series I know the characters very well, and impressed Janet with what I had to say. When she realised that I was a writer, she said they were bringing back the Heroes in Hell series with a new book, Lawyers in Hell, were looking for some new writers to bring new blood to the stories, and would I like to submit a story for consideration in the book? The rest is history, as they say. I am working on my story hopefully to be included in the next book, Adventurers in Hell, coming out in 2012. I also have been invited to submit stories for three other series, through my association with some of the other authors who were published in Lawyers in Hell. Suddenly my writing career has taken off. Now, writing short stories for anthologies doesn't pay much, because I share a percentage of the royalties with all the other authors in the book. And there is no advance money, only royalties from sales, because it was published as Print on Demand. But this is my foot in the door into being a published author. I am working on a novel currently as well, but getting my name out there with a lot of short stories will help to build a fan base so that when I finish the novel, hopefully there will be a lot of people already looking forward to reading it. Plus, I love the short story format, because I have so many ideas that need to be written.

Jon, my advice to your wife, is attend writing workshops, and join a local writers critique group that can give constructive feedback on how to become a publishable writer. Both of these things led me in the direction I am going now and helped me get over my fears of not being good enough. There will always be that fear in the back of the mind, with every story, that it isn't good enough. I still have it, doubting my skills and writing. The only way to get over it is to continue to share your writing with other writers, and take the citicisms to make you a better writer. Even successful writers I have met, and talk to on a regular basis have to deal with this as a part of being a writer. And tell her write as much as she can, whenever she can. And don't put it off, or think you can't cut it as a writer. I put off my dreams of publishing my work for 20 years, and at 39 finally pursued it and realised I could do it if I worked hard at it and didn't give up.

Also networking with other writers, subscribing to their blogs, helps. You will learn a lot from them. Networking with editors and publishers will open doors for you to be invited to submit your work too. And there are a lot of websites that list open submission periods for various publishers and discussions about writing and publishing like www.ralan.com and www.duotrope.com. Writing is a constant learning process. It is an art that can never be quite mastered. And no story is ever perfect, no matter how hard we try to make it so. Eventually you just have to finish it, quit tinkering away at it, trying to fix every little thing, and call it done. That has always been the hard part for me, because I am a perfectionist when it comes to my writing. There are a lot of good books about writing too to check out. Self Editing for Fiction Writers, by Renni Browne & Dave King, and Techniques of the Selling Writer, by Dwight Swain, are a couple that have been recommended to me that I find very helpful. There are hundreds of others though and every one will likely have something to offer. On Writing, by Stephen King is good too, and includes some biography that talks about how he came to become a writer and the process of overcoming rejection that is inevitable as a writer. My goal is one day to be able to supposrt myself and my family with a full-time writing career. I am also looking into writing a lot of non-fiction as well as the fantasy, sci-fi and horror that I am currently doing.

I'll keep you guys posted on what I'm doing when I can. I miss hanging out and commenting here, so I will try to come around more often. If anyone is interested in my blog, it is at www.larryatchleyjr.wordpress.com I talk a lot about my writing there, and other stuff, and I need to post there more often. 
-Larry Atchley, Jr
aka Lars Wodensson the ShadowRogue
-Thulsa Doom
-Douglas Adams

noJ

« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 11, 07:46:46 am CDT »

Thanks, man!

I just forwarded it to her. I'm guilty of giving up on stuff that I am very good at and it bothers me when I see her doing the same thing because she's such a good writer.
She has been writing more and more lately. A step in the right direction I guess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up