Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The joys of network nonsense...  (Read 1165 times)

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • Illustrious Member (5000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 87
  • The Stealth Rogue
The joys of network nonsense...
« on: Aug 09, 11, 08:07:12 am CDT »

I've currently got my gaming PC hooked straight into the cable modem instead of the Cisco E4200 router because the router doesn't see the internet.  The problem started yesterday with my old (and probably dying) Linksys E3000 when all the PC's and iPad could see each other and the printer on the network but (except for the iPad) not see the internet.  This was after running an update of software for the wireless printer and also a firmware update to the old router.  I've gone over every setting I can think of and tested every theory out...including the old power recycle shuffle and no luck.  I even went out and bought a new router and set that up...with the same problem. 
Thoughts?
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
I'm here to keep the place from being boring.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

noJ

• Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 45
Re: The joys of network nonsense...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 11, 08:55:35 am CDT »

Get FIOS!

Oh wait, Verizon is on strike.

I had problems with their actiontec modem/router for my wireless connections as well as the wired connections. It all started with trying to get my xbox360 hooked up. The router wouldn't release an IP. I started looking up forums and found that I had to do a firmware update/ Once I did that, none of my computers were recognized on the network. I had to go into the router from another comuter on a different network to manually set the router to release IPs to the computers and the xbox. Once I got the computers going, the xbox became a whole other issue. Not getting into that now.

Another thing that comes to mind, a few years back, my brother would regularly switch his hardwire connection between his PS3 and his 360. The router in the house at the time only had 4 hardwire ports. When he would switch his stuff around, my computer would lose it's connection. The router would need to be restarted as well as my computer for the new IP to take. You probably already know that.

Hit up some tech forums!

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • Illustrious Member (5000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 87
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 11, 09:28:15 am CDT »

I found the problem and it was a case of mistaken identity. 

Running along the shelf in the entertainment center is my blu-ray player, my hd cable channel box, my router and my cable modem.  The player has lan/net capapcity for streaming (like Netflix) and for firmware updates and the channel box has a LAN port for diagnostic purposes but not for internet connection.  Who's got two thumbs and a moronic habit of plugging in diagnostic LAN ports into a router resulting in no internet connection?  THIS GUY!!!!

I pulled the channel box from the router port and everything came right back up.  Sheesh.  I made sure that isn't going to happen again by taking the LAN cable out from the channel box so I won't mistake it for the blu-ray player or anything else again.  Every time I try to clean up some of the spaghetti monster back there I cause myself more headaches than I cure.
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
I'm here to keep the place from being boring.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

noJ

• Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 45
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 11, 09:35:38 am CDT »

Doh!

heh, spagehetti monster. I have that problem too! Except in the living room. I zip tied everything.

Rogue Hidesmith

• Eccentrically Charming
  • Libidinous Member (40 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 0
  • Home Faire: PARF
  • In Vino Vertias
    • Where Dragons Tread
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 11, 10:11:49 am CDT »

FWIW, I've had crap like that happen on some of Verizon's equipment where the modem won't recognize the router. I had to spoof the PC's MAC address on the router before it would start working.
Rogue #1603
--------------------------------------
If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1]   Go Up