Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Old Republic...  (Read 1487 times)

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
  • Exalted Member (2000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 51
  • The Forgotten Musketeer!!!
    • http://www.madamebonancieux.com/musket.html
The Old Republic...
« on: Dec 20, 11, 11:48:26 am CST »

Is anyone playing? Today is the official launch but I got to start Friday since I pre-ordered. I was on the fence about whether I'd play it at all, but ended up ordering it on impulse Thursday night. I got my order in with about 10 minutes left in order to guarantee next-day delivery.

I'm very pleasantly surprised. Not that I thought it would suck but I just wasn't that excited about it. Turns out it's very cool. I'd describe it in general as Mass Effect and WoW having a baby. That's really what it is. Much more concentration on story than a lot of other MMOs I've played. Each class gets their own unique story to follow, all the way to max level, from what I understand. I rolled 3 characters, all Republic.

I first rolled a Smuggler, which will be my main. Lot of fun. His story begins when he makes a delivery of supplies to a planet currently undergoing civil war, gets double-crossed and has his ship stolen. After reaching level 10 on the starter planet, you follow a lead to Coruscant. I'm not exactly sure when you get your ship back (I've heard anywhere between levels 15-20, depending on how you choose to follow the quests) but eventually you get your ship and then the game opens up considerably. I only got to 13 so I've a ways to go. Once you get to 10 you pick your class specialization. I went with Gunslinger since he's pure DPS. The Scoundrel is a hybrid DPS/Healer.

Then I rolled a Jedi Knight. He starts on a different planet with the story involving a former Jedi looking to destroy the Order so he can rebuild it in his own image. Like the Smuggler, once you hit level 10 you're off to Coruscant. I chose the Sentinel specialization since, like the Gunslinger he's pure DPS (gets to dual-wield lightsabres) whereas the Guardian is more defensive.

Then I rolled a Trooper. They start on the same planet as the Smuggler. You're assigned there as a soldier in the Republic army. The story involves trying to find a devastating weapon stolen by the Seperatists and deals with certain Republic troops who may or may not be on the same side as you. Once I got to 10 I chose Commando which is a hybrid DPS/Healer as opposed to the Vanguard which is a tank.

There's a lot I like about the game. Dialogue with NPCs always have options for you to choose which can have an effect on the outcome of the talk. In some cases, the NPC will end up not giving you the quest. I've heard there are even cases where your choices can end up permanently cutting you off from specific storylines. There's also light side and dark side points you get based on your decisions. It works much the same way as Mass Effects paragon/renegade system. Once you reach a certain level in either light side or dark side, certain things will open up in the game.

You also get companions, which I wasn't crazy about when I first heard about it. I don't like having to worry about another character when I'm fighting. My opinion was changed pretty quick though, when I realized you can do quests with just you and your companion that you'd need to be in a group to do otherwise. The companions are pretty self-reliant too, so you don't have to give them commands They'll just follow you where ever you go and start fighting whoever you fight. All 3 of my characters companions are pretty bad-ass. The Jedi gets a little droid who's particularly kick-ass.

All in all...I'll be sticking with it for awhile. At least until I get my ship and see what the rest of the galaxy is like.

8)
"Only a man who drinks could talk like that!"
"We escape the unendurable however we can."
- Vincent Price 'The Comedy of Terrors'

Hallertauer

• Ikariam Group
  • Eminent Member (1000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 19
Re: The Old Republic...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 11, 03:13:28 pm CST »

what is the cost to play? sounds cool.

noJ

• Inebriation Level: 45
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 11, 05:21:29 pm CST »

I've been playing it for about a month now. I was in beta before the early access last week. I like it so far. More than I liked STO at first. Even though I lean more to Star Trek than Star Wars, I just couldn't really get into STO. TOR is a different beast. Yes, it's very Mass Effect like. I agree with Pathos that it's like a mix of that and WoW.
Bioware made Mass Effect off the same engine as KOTOR. I loved both KOTOR games and I really wanted a third to come out. We got TOR instead, so it will have to do. I've already noticed lots of the same soundtracks from KOTOR and it somewhat has the same feel as far as controlling your toon and the interaction with the environment. I just wish I had more time to play. Between end of the year OT at work and doing over the bathroom at home, I have very little time to play. There's also the the WoW factor. I'm still playing WoW and we have an established guild that actually does stuff. Maybe when the new panda expansion hit, I'll put more time into TOR. At least until the make a fucking Ewok expansion cause you know that's coming.

I'm in the Jedi Covenant realm I made one of each toon and I intend to put more of an effort into this than STO. No KOTOR 3, so this will have to do.

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 11, 05:43:52 pm CST »

what is the cost to play? sounds cool.

Standard MMO fees. $15 a month if you pay month-to-month but less if you pay in multi-month blocks.

Jon, when you say one of each, you mean both Sith and Republic? I tend to shy away from the "bad" side but I heard Bounty Hunter is cool. I might roll one of those and make all the light side choices.

8)

noJ

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 11, 05:55:08 pm CST »

I made one of everything in Republic. I've only really gotten to play with my Jedi. I may try the bad guys. In KOTOR, there was only 1 choice and you chose your path as you played. This is the same in TOR but, when you play as a Jedi and make darkside decisions, you do not change factions. You fall to the darkside, but you are still in the Republic. I'll probably get to put some time in this weekend. No bathroom construction this weekend. Fuck that!

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • Illustrious Member (5000 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 87
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 11, 04:01:44 pm CST »

I haven't invested yet.  Every review I've read says the space component is REALLY lacking and that was what I loved most about SWG and still do about STO. 
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
I'm here to keep the place from being boring.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

noJ

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 11, 07:09:35 am CST »

There really was no space component to the KOTOR games either. Just nice cinematics and the occasional fighter attack with the point and shoot thing. TOR hasn't caught my attention like KOTOR 1 & 2 did. It's a different feel. The ground missions are a litte better than STO. It's definitely not the WoW killer people were claiming it to be. Star Wars fans will like it. Newbs will go back to WoW. I'll go back to working in the house.

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 11, 09:41:26 am CST »

The space combat is quite retro. It reminds me of the original Rebel Assault computer game from the early '90s where you're on a set flight path and only really control the shooting. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The simplicity of it is fun when compared to the more complex ground action.

I've gotten my Gunslinger to 24. I wanted to hit 25 so I can get my speeder but didn't have time. I also rolled a Jedi Consular and got him off the starting planet. I went Shadow, which should be fun. A stealth Jedi who uses a double-bladed lightsabre is a pretty cool concept. I also went ahead and rolled a Bounty Hunter. I'll have him make all the light side choices, which will be interesting to see how that works out being part of the Sith. I'd probably have my Slinger to 40 by now if I didn't fall into my usual trap of rolling alts. I may even roll another Smuggler and go Scoundrel and make the dark side choices just to see how that works out.

I am really enjoying the game and will probably stick with it for awhile. The characters stories are so far compelling and well done. My Smuggler even managed to get laid once already!

8)

Private Rauol D'Lackey

• Ikariam Group
  • Overt Member (400 Posts)
  • Inebriation Level: 9
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 11, 09:53:12 pm CST »

My Smuggler even managed to get laid once already!

8)

Which is one more time then you have gotten laid in real life  :D
WFR - People are stupid

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 11, 07:59:00 am CST »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND +1
King Nerd of Dorkshire.
"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe with a kettle and some string...and look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable!"

Pathos

• Ikariam Group
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 11, 09:36:49 pm CST »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND +1

Really? +1 for that? For that brilliant zinger?!?!?!?

It's sad to see the level of humor here has seriously plummeted off the abyss.

No wonder no one posts here anymore.

8)
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 11, 09:38:09 pm CST by Pathos »

noJ

« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 12, 09:05:08 pm CST »

Really? +1 for that? For that brilliant zinger?!?!?!?

It's sad to see the level of humor here has seriously plummeted off the abyss.

No wonder no one posts here anymore.

8)

Humor? I though he was serious. ;)

Anyways, check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wjf_lWxqyI

The 6th Rogue

• Ikariam Group
  • The Stealth Rogue
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 12, 08:22:56 am CST »

King Nerd of Dorkshire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up